Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting accuracy from a high seat

Shooting accuracy from a high seat

Ok much has been said about shooters ability on targets in the sitting/kneeling, standing and prone positions (40, 70 and 100m) for the DSC
    However how does your accuracy go shooting from a high seat?
    Does anyone practice this out to 100m and beyond or do you take it for granted that you'll be fine?
    I think I may have been lucky with my shots so far but intend to practice in the coming months by setting up some targets out to may be 150m from seats.

Your thoughts

Ed

If the rail is the right height, a high seat is nearly as good as a bench rest

I have shot muntjac out past 250 yards from a seat.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I would have thought shots from the high seat are to a better standard than those on the ground taken standing. Less obstructions, more time to pick your shot.

Stating the obvious id like to think compared to hill stalking, possibly crawling the last 100 or so metres your accuracy is much better placed regarding heart rate fatigue etc..

Ed, its an interesting comment that you feel you have been lucky with your shots..

What has made them lucky ? as opposed to well placed ?

Atb

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Ed,Im 6"2 and ive sat in a few high seats that the rail is too low,Its impossible to get comfortable when taking the shot,a roe sack sometimes does the job for me otherwise i just avoid them.
    Atb John

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyEddie View Post
    Ok much has been said about shooters ability on targets in the sitting/kneeling, standing and prone positions (40, 70 and 100m) for the DSC
    However how does your accuracy go shooting from a high seat?
    Does anyone practice this out to 100m and beyond or do you take it for granted that you'll be fine?
    I think I may have been lucky with my shots so far but intend to practice in the coming months by setting up some targets out to may be 150m from seats.

Your thoughts

Ed
    It's about learning your angles shooting down you should shoot higher up the body than shooting off the ground so that the bullet passes throught the heart/lung. Shooting uphill you shoot lower down the body to ensure the bullet passes through the vitals. Hope this helps.

Jimbo

Wether you are shooting up hill or down hill the bullet will always strike higher.

Quote Originally Posted by 177landy View Post
    Wether you are shooting up hill or down hill the bullet will always strike higher.

+1

Another thing to bear in mind when shooting from a highseat is that if you are left or right handed you will usually find it easier to shoot off one side of the seat than the other. I have a portable highseat and the arrangement of the shooting rail is such that, with me being left handed, it is much easier to shoot towards my right whereas shots to my left are nowhere near as stable.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Another thing to bear in mind when shooting from a highseat is that if you are left or right handed you will usually find it easier to shoot off one side of the seat than the other. I have a portable highseat and the arrangement of the shooting rail is such that, with me being left handed, it is much easier to shoot towards my right whereas shots to my left are nowhere near as stable.
    I'm right handed but left eye dominant! hasn't stopped me shooting to a very high level with either shotgun or rifle over the past 40 years! What I have done though is to become ambidextrous with both but especially with the rifle! Pays dividends in the high seat1
    MS