Shooting accuracy from a high seat

LuckyEddie

Ok much has been said about shooters ability on targets in the sitting/kneeling, standing and prone positions (40, 70 and 100m) for the DSC
However how does your accuracy go shooting from a high seat?
Does anyone practice this out to 100m and beyond or do you take it for granted that you'll be fine?
I think I may have been lucky with my shots so far but intend to practice in the coming months by setting up some targets out to may be 150m from seats.

Your thoughts

Ed

If the rail is the right height, a high seat is nearly as good as a bench rest

I have shot muntjac out past 250 yards from a seat.

I would have thought shots from the high seat are to a better standard than those on the ground taken standing. Less obstructions, more time to pick your shot.

Stating the obvious id like to think compared to hill stalking, possibly crawling the last 100 or so metres your accuracy is much better placed regarding heart rate fatigue etc..

Ed, its an interesting comment that you feel you have been lucky with your shots..

What has made them lucky ? as opposed to well placed ?

Atb

Terry

Ed,Im 6"2 and ive sat in a few high seats that the rail is too low,Its impossible to get comfortable when taking the shot,a roe sack sometimes does the job for me otherwise i just avoid them.
Atb John

Ok much has been said about shooters ability on targets in the sitting/kneeling, standing and prone positions (40, 70 and 100m) for the DSC
However how does your accuracy go shooting from a high seat?
Does anyone practice this out to 100m and beyond or do you take it for granted that you'll be fine?
I think I may have been lucky with my shots so far but intend to practice in the coming months by setting up some targets out to may be 150m from seats.

Your thoughts

Ed

It's about learning your angles shooting down you should shoot higher up the body than shooting off the ground so that the bullet passes throught the heart/lung. Shooting uphill you shoot lower down the body to ensure the bullet passes through the vitals. Hope this helps.

Jimbo

Another thing to bear in mind when shooting from a highseat is that if you are left or right handed you will usually find it easier to shoot off one side of the seat than the other. I have a portable highseat and the arrangement of the shooting rail is such that, with me being left handed, it is much easier to shoot towards my right whereas shots to my left are nowhere near as stable.

Another thing to bear in mind when shooting from a highseat is that if you are left or right handed you will usually find it easier to shoot off one side of the seat than the other. I have a portable highseat and the arrangement of the shooting rail is such that, with me being left handed, it is much easier to shoot towards my right whereas shots to my left are nowhere near as stable.

I'm right handed but left eye dominant! hasn't stopped me shooting to a very high level with either shotgun or rifle over the past 40 years! What I have done though is to become ambidextrous with both but especially with the rifle! Pays dividends in the high seat1:thumb:
MS:)

I'm exactly the same MS, except that I've never managed the ambidextrous bit!! I really must practise a bit more shooting right handed as like you say it would make a big difference being able to shoot off both shoulders in a high seat.

Wether you are shooting up hill or down hill the bullet will always strike higher.

You will probably never take a shot at the kind of angles and at the distances required while stalking that you will ever notice a difference in point of impact.

Adjust your shot on the deer's body to allow for entry and exit dependent on position of the heart but I wouldn't bother adjusting for angle of shot.

Last edited:
Topic of the Month

Above is one of the better explanations offered in relation to shooting angles, down or up. Gets a bit technical at places but for most of it is probably easily understood and good explanation as to why...

Never had any problems,around 200 yds is the furthest I've shot deer from a high seat.
A lot easier and more stable than sticks after a long stalk through boggy forestry blocks and clear fell.
Nik.

Topic of the Month

Above is one of the better explanations offered in relation to shooting angles, down or up. Gets a bit technical at places but for most of it is probably easily understood and good explanation as to why...

Bit too anal for me. I don't own a scientific calculator much less have one when I am out stalking.

Out of interest can someone do the maths relating to this example and tell me that to take a shot at 300yds at a 30 degree angle how high my high seat would be?

Topic of the Month

Ah....plunging fire!

Regarding high seats, if you take the Advanced Shooting Test that is part of the BDS Deer Manager's Course you get to shoot from a simulated high seat @ 150 yards.

willie_gunn

I did the maths - I think. To take the shot in the example your high seat would have to be 148 yds high or you would have to be 148 yds above the deer.

In realistic stalking terms I don't think the angle of the shot will ever effect the point of impact of the bullet.
So don't worry about it.

I am not a mathematician but can grasp the concept of the bullet strike being high at distance relative to the uphill/downhill angle. Some of our ground round here is very steep and probably allows shooting at pretty extreme angles especially downhill.

Bit too anal for me. I don't own a scientific calculator much less have one when I am out stalking.

Out of interest can someone do the maths relating to this example and tell me that to take a shot at 300yds at a 30 degree angle how high my high seat would be?

You'd need to get to your stalking ground early cos you'd have 173 yards of ladder to climb up.

Matt.

Back