Thread: accurate 3100 powder

accurate 3100 powder

anyone using accurate/lovex 3100 powder now rebadged as lovex s071 ? i have been trying to work up a load with it but at under 2 grains below the manual max load its blowing the primers. im thinking this powder is a bit suspect any one else used this powder with the same results .

Seriously? What do you suspect the powder of?
    Maybe your expectations are suspect?

All I'm saying is that loading data is a guide. Maximum in your rifle may come quicker than in the pressure gun they used to derive the data you are using. That is why they say to start at 5% below minimum and work up slowly. The powder is what it is. You need to account for that in your loading. ~Muir

ive loaded and shot thousands of rounds of .25-06 using accurate 3100 and NEVER had a problem

An example of what Muir says( i hope ).
    My 30-06 Ackley uses 61.0 Grains of N160 to propel a 168 A-Max to just shy of 3000fps in my 26 inch Barrel.I use a 175 Berger now so would have to check my notes, but that speed is near enough to make the point.
    Vit Data maxes out at 61.7 Grains of N160 to propel a 167 Scenar to 2762fps in their 24.5 inch test Barrel. That is a STANDARD 30-06!!!!!!
    Vit's Max load would be tasty in my Ackley with its slightly increased case capacity but was safe in the Vit test Barrel.
    The data is what happened in their test barrel and may well not happen in yours and certainly did not in mine.
    Hope this helps.

Yorkie.

Always try to test your loads to the best of your abilities,........ get the use of a decent chronograph!, We were surprised to see factory .243 loads exceeding by a very large margin the guff on the boxes!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkie View Post
    An example of what Muir says( i hope ).
    My 30-06 Ackley uses 61.0 Grains of N160 to propel a 168 A-Max to just shy of 3000fps in my 26 inch Barrel.I use a 175 Berger now so would have to check my notes, but that speed is near enough to make the point.
    Vit Data maxes out at 61.7 Grains of N160 to propel a 167 Scenar to 2762fps in their 24.5 inch test Barrel. That is a STANDARD 30-06!!!!!!
    Vit's Max load would be tasty in my Ackley with its slightly increased case capacity but was safe in the Vit test Barrel.
    The data is what happened in their test barrel and may well not happen in yours and certainly did not in mine.
    Hope this helps.

Yorkie.
    point taken as you and muir point out. i have used a lot of different powders and never had this effect at such a low point in the load data this load was worked up from 10% below the start data and the cartridge oal is longer than is given in the manual this i assume should lower the pressure in the case? so working on this asumption if you stick to the cartridge oal in the manual i would have blown the primers at a point lower than just under the 2 grains as has happend in this load also all components in the load are as stated in the loading manual. maybe im wrong i dont know its just not what i expected.

Cartridge O.A.L., might be right up there touching the lands then???............. just asking for a spike in pressure?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!