Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical question regarding runners

Hypothetical question regarding runners

Now this is purely a hypothetical question which a few friends and I were discussing about running deer after being shot.

The land we have is surrounded on 3 sides by forestry commission and quite a few of the main shooting areas are within 100 yards of these points. Now as yet we have had no runners but Vehicle access at present is restricted to a mile or so away from the main seats due to impassability with water logged fields and slopes.

Now the question is what would you do if you were on your own and one jumped borders?

We are not asking whether you would wonder in rifle over your back as that is obvious but the legality of retrieving the deer, would you need to inform anyone?

You would have to get permission from the FC and the owner of the 4th side to retrieve your shot deer..... I would have gone and seen/called the land owners before i had even gone stalking and explained it to them and asked if this did happen would it be ok to cross the boundary and collect the deer.

Why ask now, what would you have done if the first deer you shot had crossed over??
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

You won't get blanket permission from many because it can encourage flexible boundaries. If it was me you were asking I would request that should it occur you informed me on a case by case basis and a decision on what action to take would be made by me. That action may include permission to go and get it, but that way everyone is crystal about their position and encourages sensible shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Southdowns_stalking View Post
    You would have to get permission from the FC and the owner of the 4th side to retrieve your shot deer..... I would have gone and seen/called the land owners before i had even gone stalking and explained it to them and asked if this did happen would it be ok to cross the boundary and collect the deer.

Why ask now, what would you have done if the first deer you shot had crossed over??

That is actually the conclusion we came to and an email was fired off in the hope of a quick response. In response to your last sentence ill be honest it didn't actually cross my mind as apart from one spine shot (Engine room i pulled slightly) all shots have been head or neck at around 50-80 yards. The 4th side of the land is actually houses and we don't shoot anywhere near there due to noise and town folk not understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ths84 View Post
    Now this is purely a hypothetical question which a few friends and I were discussing about running deer after being shot.

The land we have is surrounded on 3 sides by forestry commission and quite a few of the main shooting areas are within 100 yards of these points. Now as yet we have had no runners but Vehicle access at present is restricted to a mile or so away from the main seats due to impassability with water logged fields and slopes.

Now the question is what would you do if you were on your own and one jumped borders?

We are not asking whether you would wonder in rifle over your back as that is obvious but the legality of retrieving the deer, would you need to inform anyone?
    Take these thoughts back to yourself what would you do ? Follow your own mind .

I know what i would "do" was to go and collect the beast it is called a death run (now deer belong to no one until there dead) it was dead where you shot it , it just didn't know that ,now saying that it is illegal to go and collect it but it is, what I'd do couple of reasons.

First it is your humanitarian duty to make sure the deer is not suffering.

Secondly why would you go and leave a perfectly good carcass ( IE meat source to lay and rot ) the forestry commission wont come out and lift it .

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    You won't get blanket permission from many because it can encourage flexible boundaries. If it was me you were asking I would request that should it occur you informed me on a case by case basis and a decision on what action to take would be made by me. That action may include permission to go and get it, but that way everyone is crystal about their position and encourages sensible shooting.
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I think i also depends on who the neighbours are and if they understand deer management. On all of my stalking grounds i have never had any problems with my above approach, on the few times this has happened i have called, depending on the time of morning or evening or sent a text, just out of courtesy. If i have a control job with close boundaries then i will only take a head/neck shot at close range. If i cant get a safe shot then i will not risk it running onto the neighbours lawn and falling over, it does nothing for the image of deer stalking.
    Last edited by Southdowns_stalking; 28-10-2012 at 22:33. Reason: Spelling...
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

I know what i would "do" was to go and collect the beast it is called a death run (now deer belong to no one until there dead) it was dead where you shot it , it just didn't know that ,now saying that it is illegal to go and collect it but it is, what I'd do couple of reasons.

Secondly why would you go and leave a perfectly good carcass ( IE meat source to lay and rot ) the forestry commission wont come out and lift it .[/QUOTE]

+1 exactly what I would do and for the same reasons
    Wingy

Deer Act 1991, Section 1 (3) (a).

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Take these thoughts back to yourself what would you do ? Follow your own mind .

Secondly why would you go and leave a perfectly good carcass ( IE meat source to lay and rot ) the forestry commission wont come out and lift it .
    Dangerous.

I would go and get permission to get the deer as it does not belong to you anymore

Quote Originally Posted by mark g View Post
    Dangerous.

I would go and get permission to get the deer as it does not belong to you anymore
    + 1 .... it's just not worth the problems you could have if it went wrong and you were without permission