Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderator thread adapter?

Moderator thread adapter?

Anyone ever hear of such a thing?I have a rifle threaded 1/2 unf and a mod that I'd like to put onto it which is 14x1. Is there a way to adapt on to fit the other without buying a new mod or getting the barrel re-threaded?

If it makes a difference the mod is an over barrel type.
    Thanks for any help,
    Mike

Don't think there is such a thing, however stand to be corrected,
    One option would be to have an inch cut off the barrel and re screw cut to 1/2" UNF. 2nd option trade the moderator for one that fits. I believe Tikka screw cut 14-1 so you should have no problem selling it.
    Wingy

I think I would approach this in another way. If there is enough metal around the female thread in the moderator, then I'm sure an oversize thread could be cut in it and an insert or "helicoil" type thread repair of 1/2 UNF could be inserted quite economically. HOWEVER! My guess would be that you should then get the moderator re-proofed, as you have altered it's design. The same would apply if you cut back the barrel and cut a 14x1 male thread on to the end of it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I didn't make it clear!
    i have two rifles I want to use the same mod on, one with a 14x1 and one with a 1/2 in unf thread. The mod I have is 14x1. I'd like to get the cheapest solution possible!

In that case the only solution I could see would have the 1/2" UNF rifle cut to 14-1 thread so that it is the same as your other & the moderator. As stated the rifle will need to be re proofed.
    Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    In that case the only solution I could see would have the 1/2" UNF rifle cut to 14-1 thread so that it is the same as your other & the moderator. As stated the rifle will need to be re proofed.
    Wingy
    Thanks for that, thought that might be the case but was hoping to save a bit of money!

why couldnt you have a precision adapter cut with a clear bore or 1-2mm larger than the calibre with a 1/2" UNF female and 14x1 male thread?
    only issue I see is "losing" it inside the mod when you take it off but a small grub screw to hold it on the barrel would sort it without damaging the barrel threads.

no more complex than a muzzle brake

you would only need something 3/4-1" long, just enough to accomodate both threaded sections
    you would still need a new rear bush for the 2nd barrel though

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    why couldnt you have a precision adapter cut with a clear bore or 1-2mm larger than the calibre with a 1/2" UNF female and 14x1 male thread?
    only issue I see is "losing" it inside the mod when you take it off but a small grub screw to hold it on the barrel would sort it without damaging the barrel threads.

no more complex than a muzzle brake

you would only need something 3/4-1" long, just enough to accomodate both threaded sections
    you would still need a new rear bush for the 2nd barrel though
    Now that sounds perfect for my needs (wouldn't even need the second bushing as the northstar mod i have doesnt use one!)
    Wonder how i might go about getting one of these made?

The other option I have is to try and swap a T8 mod I have (which is too long over the barrel and would clash with the stock) for an end of barrel mod (or one which is a bit shorter over the barrel than the T8).

They do exist I have one that I used when I had the same moderator on my 270 and 6.5 the 270 was threaded 1/2 unf and the 6.5 was threaded 5/8 unf so the adapter stayed on the 270 and the mod was swapped back and forth.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

a decent machinist or gunsmith should be able to make one up.

best option is for them to see the threads they are matching and measure the length to get it just right

I have had firearm related parts machined by a local engineer.
    he didnt need the rifle so no RFD status required

often makes it a lot cheaper!