Thread: EKA Swingblade blade profile

EKA Swingblade blade profile

I have an EKA Swingblade which I like for the tripe knife blade but I do not like the broad profile of the main cutting blade.

How or where could I get it re-profiled or would that spoil the knife completely?

Phil
    Yet another 7mm08 user....

I know what you mean. I've got one and I prefer a drop point to a clip point. I bought mine because I liked the idea of the unzipper, but once I've started I rarely bother to turn the blade round and use it. It is a useful skinning knife though.
    Not sure if you can reprofile them, you'd have to remove a lot of steel. I don't know whether the steel is the same temper all the way to the back of the blade. I don't think they hold an edge particularly well anyway. I'd be inclined to keep it for skinning out and get something else for gralloching. I'm using a Boker Rekincho at the moment and I like it. Better steel.

They make a fish version with a narrower blade

EKA FISH BLADE ORANGE: Amazon.co.uk: Sports Outdoors

That was just an instant google result of EKA Fish I am sure you will get a better price somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    They make a fish version with a narrower blade

EKA FISH BLADE ORANGE: Amazon.co.uk: Sports Outdoors

That was just an instant google result of EKA Fish I am sure you will get a better price somewhere
    Yes. Heinnie Haynes probably.

Just had a look at the Fish version, the blade looks too long and thin. I agree about edge retention. I gave my Karesuando an outing last week and it performed well but I don't like not being able to take the sheath insert out for cleaning. Mora clippers and Victorinox five inch boning knives take some beating but nebertheless I continue my search for the 'ultimate' gralloching knife at a price that I can justify.

Phil
    Yet another 7mm08 user....

Quote Originally Posted by Philwilk View Post
    I have an EKA Swingblade which I like for the tripe knife blade but I do not like the broad profile of the main cutting blade.

How or where could I get it re-profiled or would that spoil the knife completely?

Phil

Not particularly difficult .............. If you have the right kit

taking metal of the back is easy as its just grind it back

off the front is easy to but will need the edge Grinds put back on

it will be the same temper all the way thro as Stainless don't Differentially temper (one of the reasons it will never be as tough as a carbon blade )

the matter of spoiling it is up to you if the shape you can get out of it is what you want

ATB

Duncan