Thread: double glazing query help

double glazing query help

my double glazing window locks dont work & would like to get em repaired/ working .....windows are CR Smith but at least 12 or 13yrs old....i dont want to use them for various reasons ..id rather rip em out than use them again

what kind of price am i looking at approx ?

2ndly

helluva lot of condensation now after re-doing loft insulation last year.....do i need ne seals in wndows or put in couple of ventilated roof tiles??

how much for window re-seals approx?

cheers
    paul

Not sure about the window locks, but as for the insulation, did you pack it right to the edges of the loft? You need to leave a good bit of ventilation space at the outside edges of the roof pitch so air can circulate, made this mistake before now and ended up with all the roof timbers getting mould all over them, could be the reason for the condesation....?

Cost totally depends on window size, but budget on 250 - 350 per window, for something around 1200mm x 1200mm (any decent firm should quote for free anyway) Condensation in the glazing units or on the windows? If its inside the unit you need new glass units, if its on the glass inside the room you need more air ventilation in the room, just open the windows every morning for half an hour. Vented roof tiles might help a bit but plenty of draft usually gets into the loft via the felt / tiles anyway. Condensation occurs where there's a temperature difference between outside and inside, so there's not a lot you can do unless you increase the airflow to keep it dry or make the window more thermally efficient - the new modern glass and frames are much better than old.
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

cheers folks

the condensation is on the windows not in them, the loft insulation was done under that government grant scheme free so i didnt install it but think its right to the edges.....i can easy go up and pull back from the edges a few inches....could be worth a go

ill get local quotes for locks

thank you guys

paul

you can get replacement handles from northwest hardware bredbury just google them

Are the handles of the fixed to the outside or does it operate sliding latches through the frame, if you see what I mean.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    my double glazing window locks dont work & would like to get em repaired/ working .....windows are CR Smith but at least 12 or 13yrs old....i dont want to use them for various reasons ..id rather rip em out than use them again

what kind of price am i looking at approx ?

2ndly

helluva lot of condensation now after re-doing loft insulation last year.....do i need ne seals in wndows or put in couple of ventilated roof tiles??

how much for window re-seals approx?

cheers
    paul

What type of lock is it there's a few to choose from ranging from 12 to 35 .

Does the window have shoot bolts top and bottom or is it lock plates in the casement recess .

Roof vent tiles and soffit vents . Gives you a air flow ,there's a number of variables to try

Fit trickle vents to tour Windows
    only when the last tree has been felled,the last fish caught and the last river poisoned will man realise he cant eat money

Take one of your window locks to any good 'D I Y' shop and they should stock several different types and are not expensive.

My local shop got me an odd one delivered overnight.

Brianm