Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Price of land ??

Price of land ??

A local patch of woodland is up for auction in a couple of weeks and it is in a prime location for Red deer , it is only 4 acres in size and looks pretty uneven ground , I am not in a position to buy , but a pal is and is considering attending the auction with some interest in bidding , what does anyone think is a realistic price ,I suppose people will take all the timber to fell into account when weighing the price up.
    Thanks Brian

Brian

It depends is the short answer on location, neighbours etc. http://www.johnclegg.co.uk/ sell woodland and you will get some idea of current asking prices. It also depends on whether you could build on the ground or not. You really need to get the sale particulars and read them.

Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Brian

It depends is the short answer on location, neighbours etc. http://www.johnclegg.co.uk/ sell woodland and you will get some idea of current asking prices. It also depends on whether you could build on the ground or not. You really need to get the sale particulars and read them.

Regards JCS
    As above plus check about access rights. I know of a wood grown for commercial timber, where the owners of the wood have to keep the adjoining farmers happy as they have to cross other peoples land to get to it and don't have access rights over the adjoining land. Also check to see if the shooting and stalking rights are included as these rights can be retained by the present owners( if they have them)

Ade

Quote Originally Posted by cumbrian View Post
    A local patch of woodland is up for auction in a couple of weeks and it is in a prime location for Red deer , it is only 4 acres in size and looks pretty uneven ground , I am not in a position to buy , but a pal is and is considering attending the auction with some interest in bidding , what does anyone think is a realistic price ,I suppose people will take all the timber to fell into account when weighing the price up.
    Thanks Brian
    Best check also that the Sporting Rights go with the land or are they let already?

Two years ago 2.5 acres went to auction. It was on a side of a hill bad access, very wet lots of negatives.
    46000.00. Was the finishing price. Two years on only chickens run on it now.
    Andrew

Hi Brian,

such a small block of woodland would usually command a higher price tag (7k-10k/acre). seems a bit nuts really as it obviously of no use to anyone so why do they have high prices? my quess is that they are aimed at the "hobby" market. people with a bit of an excess of cash? as the other posters have commented be VERY carefull of the small print as more often that not rights of access, sport etc are very historic and may well take some "unearthing"

that said could be a blinding piece of land....
    Big bloke... but outta shape

depends where it is but the further south 'leisure' woodlands work out about 25k for that size. At auction it may go cheaper but the timber is not where the value is at in small investments.

look on woodlands.co.uk which has good info. I was looking at buying a small bit around thetford purely to shoot munties from high seats.

I agree with all the above woodland trust and similer groups seem to by places like this and pay silly money some individuals with spare cash willalso buy land as investment bank rate is so poor and one thing is a cert they a'int makeing any more of it "land I mean" small areas of land under 12 acres can make 10K per acre round here.So you need to do some local research.

Blog Entries
    40k or so I would think but yes check on your access rights, Sporting Rights and any restrictive covenants in its paperwork. It would also be good to check there is no planned development near by.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    depends where it is but the further south 'leisure' woodlands work out about 25k for that size. At auction it may go cheaper but the timber is not where the value is at in small investments.

look on woodlands.co.uk which has good info. I was looking at buying a small bit around thetford purely to shoot munties from high seats.
    not 100% on this but i think that website imposes a covenant against shooting on smaller plots it sells.