Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Border Terriers

Border Terriers

I turned 51 this past july and of those years we've kept a Border all but maybe 3 or 4 of those years !

I was givien the first but the DuPonts of gunpowder fame .

It was a first birthday present in 1962 from a littler on her estate . That one lasted until I was 16 after she was put down we waited a couple years before getting another , that one lasted about 16 years before she needed to be put down . It took us 2 to 3 years before we could find another suitable litter to get a female pup from . We got Kielie at that time and she's almost 14 now !

The little DEVIL !

Only breeds I ever really cared for were the Border's of course , English Setters , Irish Wofhounds and Scottish Deerhounds . Never owned either a wolf hound or deerhound but always liked them .

When I was younger and a bit more active I used to keep setters for grouse but those days are over now . Not enough grouse to train a dog around here anymore and all my old hunting partners are passed on or moved away !

Had borders for 10 years, along with labs. Great little dogs, so much personality and they just love people....not so with squirrels, foxes and cats !

I have had my first Border for almost two years now,WHAT A CHARACTER!!!!......same as biffo,they love people but cats,squirrels and fox....well,i have this vision of him dissapearing in the neighbours cat flap one day!!!!

I have kept borders for over 15 years along side Labs, they match very well, my wee bitch should be in pup and will find out for sure in the next week or two, they are great wee dogs and are less trouble than all the other breed of terriers I have kept in the last 35 years.

Hand stripping them out is a pain but should be done as its shows them off a lot better than shearing

Bod

Ditto, some pics of my 3 yr old dog.

I have had mine 4 months now, a fantastic dog. She goes crazy for blood trails and zooms along them. Borders are indeed loyal dogs, very playful, intelligent but have an amazing ability to lose their hearing at times. Mine tends to do this when she sees Pigeons and completley ignores me lol.

I should pluck ours again before Xmas . But as old as she is and as much as she hates being plucked I'll just leave her alone until the spring as far as thats concerned .

A doog groomer told me that they dont have to be stripped but if you are going to do anything they must be stripped not clippered,i have left my chap alone and he looks fine........whats the theory behind stripping them??....thye seem to lose there character in my eyes??

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    A doog groomer told me that they dont have to be stripped but if you are going to do anything they must be stripped not clippered,i have left my chap alone and he looks fine........whats the theory behind stripping them??....thye seem to lose there character in my eyes??
    Border's should be stripped twice a year NEVER CLIPPED. Once stripped they look like Teddy Bears i have just done my Blue and Tan bitch today. I also have a Grizzle and Tan dog they are the best terrier arround maybe in some instances a little slow to work (not all i may add) but once they have the measage you have a brilliant companion in the field and home would never be without one.

Jimbo