Border Terriers

6pt-sika

I turned 51 this past july and of those years we've kept a Border all but maybe 3 or 4 of those years !

I was givien the first but the DuPonts of gunpowder fame .

It was a first birthday present in 1962 from a littler on her estate . That one lasted until I was 16 after she was put down we waited a couple years before getting another , that one lasted about 16 years before she needed to be put down . It took us 2 to 3 years before we could find another suitable litter to get a female pup from . We got Kielie at that time and she's almost 14 now !

The little DEVIL !

DSCN0012-small.jpg

Snow2010005.jpg

8-24-11010.jpg

8-24-11006.jpg

Only breeds I ever really cared for were the Border's of course , English Setters , Irish Wofhounds and Scottish Deerhounds . Never owned either a wolf hound or deerhound but always liked them .

When I was younger and a bit more active I used to keep setters for grouse but those days are over now . Not enough grouse to train a dog around here anymore and all my old hunting partners are passed on or moved away !

Had borders for 10 years, along with labs. Great little dogs, so much personality and they just love people....not so with squirrels, foxes and cats !

I have had my first Border for almost two years now,WHAT A CHARACTER!!!!......same as biffo,they love people but cats,squirrels and fox....well,i have this vision of him dissapearing in the neighbours cat flap one day!!!!:oops::doh::rofl:

I have kept borders for over 15 years along side Labs, they match very well, my wee bitch should be in pup and will find out for sure in the next week or two, they are great wee dogs and are less trouble than all the other breed of terriers I have kept in the last 35 years.

Hand stripping them out is a pain but should be done as its shows them off a lot better than shearing

Bod

I have had mine 4 months now, a fantastic dog. She goes crazy for blood trails and zooms along them. Borders are indeed loyal dogs, very playful, intelligent but have an amazing ability to lose their hearing at times. Mine tends to do this when she sees Pigeons and completley ignores me lol.

I should pluck ours again before Xmas . But as old as she is and as much as she hates being plucked I'll just leave her alone until the spring as far as thats concerned .

A doog groomer told me that they dont have to be stripped but if you are going to do anything they must be stripped not clippered,i have left my chap alone and he looks fine........whats the theory behind stripping them??....thye seem to lose there character in my eyes??

A doog groomer told me that they dont have to be stripped but if you are going to do anything they must be stripped not clippered,i have left my chap alone and he looks fine........whats the theory behind stripping them??....thye seem to lose there character in my eyes??

Border's should be stripped twice a year NEVER CLIPPED. Once stripped they look like Teddy Bears i have just done my Blue and Tan bitch today. I also have a Grizzle and Tan dog they are the best terrier arround maybe in some instances a little slow to work (not all i may add) but once they have the measage you have a brilliant companion in the field and home would never be without one.

Jimbo

Hi 6pt-sika, off subject but are you affected by Sandy??

Pete

Thanks for asking Pete !

We have been getting what I think of as heavy winds for about 24 hours and the rain has been fairly heavy now for almost 12 hours . But so far we're holding out pretty well .

But I'm about 75 miles south of Washington DC in about the middle of the state going by east to west .

I think this stuff will continue around here for approx 24 more hours . The poor people in Philly and NYC are getting the brunt of it so far !
Also Atlantic City in New Jersey has been getting it for over 24 hours I understand .

Pete the first day of muzzle loading season is this comning saturday as well as the Montpelier Hunt Cup Races !

Two rather big events in my year !

Saturday i usually get up before dawn and sit until about 9AM , then take a quick shower and head to the steeplechase races !

I suspect this weather is gonna make it a been MUDDY at the races this year !!!!!!

Pete the first day of muzzle loading season is this comning saturday as well as the Montpelier Hunt Cup Races !

Two rather big events in my year !

Saturday i usually get up before dawn and sit until about 9AM , then take a quick shower and head to the steeplechase races !

I suspect this weather is gonna make it a been MUDDY at the races this year !!!!!!

Hello 6pt-sika, just seen the news here you guys really took a battering, hope all OK with you. I guess things are going to be muddy for a while.

Pete

Thanks guys we made it thru the storm okay !

We didn't get what the folks in New York and New Jersey got !

It was almost perfectly calm here today , so should be okay saturday for muzzle load hunting early saturday AM and then the horse races from about 10AM until about 5 PM .

Back