Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulley blocks

Pulley blocks

A few years ago my pal had a set of pulleys that were ideal. They were triple wheels, made of brass and of about an inch in diameter. They fitted easily into a pocket or small backpack and would lift a Fallow buck with ease. Try as I may I have not been able to find similar ones anywhere. Ideally I would get the type that lock themselves if one lets go of the rope. I have looked on all sorts of sites but am unfamiliar with some of the terms used in describing pulley blocks. Any ideas anyone please ?

I went to a local supplier of lifting gear/tackle the ones I got were for boats perfect stainless bearings and frame and real high lift capacity for such a tiny thing or I guess try a boat spares website???

Wayne

Go to your local chandlers (sailing boat shop) and tell them what you want to do.
    A 3 to 1 block set with a jamming device is easy to make from standard dinghy fittings, the sort used on a standard kicking strap will do very well.

Attachment 20889

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    Go to your local chandlers (sailing boat shop) and tell them what you want to do.
    A 3 to 1 block set with a jamming device is easy to make from standard dinghy fittings, the sort used on a standard kicking strap will do very well.

Attachment 20889

Neil.
    Neil. Thats helpful thanks but could you be a little more specific (Janet and John) please ? What exactly do I look /ask for please ?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Neil. Thats helpful thanks but could you be a little more specific (Janet and John) please ? What exactly do I look /ask for please ?
    Just tell them what you want to do with it, and tell them it has been suggested that a simple light dinghy size kicking strap would work.
    You should end up with the bits in the picture, the top pulley is a single wheel, with a shackle to support it, and a place to secure the standing end of the rope.
    The lower one has 2 pulleys and a jamming device, plus a place to secure a shackle. You add whatever you like or prefer to each end, so one end to the headboard of the truck or trailer, the other end a sliding noose to loop around the head, pull on rope and up she goes.
    The pulleys can be as small as you like for your purpose, just so long as they take 6mm rope, thinner is uncomfortable to pull on.
    If you want it really easy click here. Then just contact them to say how long you want it.

Neil.
    Last edited by Hornet 6; 29-10-2012 at 17:53.

Been using something like that for years.
    Pull up the old bucks with it too.
    edi

Try pinbax.com they should help
    cheers Norma

Yup, got a set of these can anyone tell me where I can buy a shy hook to hang it from

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Yup, got a set of these can anyone tell me where I can buy a shy hook to hang it from
    No but you can get a smart hook.

Neil.

Established Poster
    What do you use as a gambrel in the field with your lifting gear? I have a David Stretton stainless folding gambrel, it's strong enough for a red stag but rather heavy to carry.