Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roe abscess

roe abscess

out the other day and shot a nice roe buck it had an abscess on its back leg just at its elbow, about the size of a golf ball it was moving ok on it at the time may have got a thorn or sum thing in it, any way just wondering it that would damage the meet ?

All the other lymph nodes in good order? Meat should be fine, have you done DSC1 or a large game handing course?

sorry but better things to do with my cash bud.

I have experienced this only last year, an old Roe Buck late in season came out just before it got dark. having never seen it before his head was going back but other than the golf ball sized joint he was perfectly healthy. this carcass went to the game dealer where he took the effected leg off as he didnt want it going into the food chain but there was nothing wrong with the rest of the meat acording to the game dealer!.RegardsTam

Quote Originally Posted by dunc65 View Post
    Cost shouldn't be a factor here, if you cannot process your game, (check the Lymphatic system), you should at least get someone close to your area to check it over for you.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by dunc65 View Post
    With an attitude like that you should go far.

when you say the other day was it still the buck season

I would never critisize someone for asking a question on here as no-one knows everything. But- when the question shows a lack of basic knowledge and the poster is politly pointed in the direction of further education it is wrong to come out with a slap-down. Maybe if you attended a DSC1 course you would enjoy the experience and it would enhance your stalking experience. You may then not give others cause to question if you know the seasons, know what to do when you find an abscess or indeed an ELBOW on the back leg.

Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    I would never critisize someone for asking a question on here as no-one knows everything. But- when the question shows a lack of basic knowledge and the poster is politly pointed in the direction of further education it is wrong to come out with a slap-down. Maybe if you attended a DSC1 course you would enjoy the experience and it would enhance your stalking experience. You may then not give others cause to question if you know the seasons, know what to do when you find an abscess or indeed an ELBOW on the back leg.
    Couldn't have put it any better myself.
    S.
    P.S Meet???
    Last edited by Schiehallion; 31-10-2012 at 17:50.

Sorry, but if there was ever a case for compulsory training this thread illustrates the point perfectly.

The animal MAY be fit for consumption or it MAY make you very poorly. Only a thorough examination will tell you.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.