Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .25-06 vs 7mm-08

.25-06 vs 7mm-08

Can someone give me some real world feedback on recoil difference between the two above please.
    I know all the recoil calculators say there is nothing in it. And physics says a heacier bullet should knock harder but as i said real world feedback would be appreciated.

I shoot 117 sst in the .25-06 and am thinking about 140g?? in the 7mm-08

Thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by jungaljohn View Post
    Can someone give me some real world feedback on recoil difference between the two above please.
    I know all the recoil calculators say there is nothing in it. And physics says a heacier bullet should knock harder but as i said real world feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

John
    no one can really answer the question as felt recoil is a personal thing,we are all built differently whats hard one your shoulder will be soft on mine,just buy a box of ammo and try it as no calculator can tell you how it really feelsif its any use Ive just finished loading a 7.08 for a mate with 140s,no mod no break and i thought it was lovely to shoot,but then again Iam 6.1,17 stone and work out 5 times a week in the gym so my shoulder will be slightly stronger tham most
    Last edited by see it shoot it; 30-10-2012 at 12:06.

Out on the open hill probably very little. 25-06 doesn't recoil very much and nor does the 7mm-08, and both put deer down perfectly well. Sub 100 yds and especially on smaller deer you may find the 25-06 with its smaller and faster bullet may cause a bit too much meat damage, whereas the 7mm08 and the old 7mm mauser with 140 or bigger bullet just does the job. If you are getting too much meat damage in your 25-06 you might find a slightly bigger / and or tougher bullet makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by jungaljohn View Post

Thanks

John
    `Physics says a heavier bullet should knock harder`, quite so but only when driven at the same speed as the lighter one.
    Terminal energy is a combination of bullet weight and speed of arrival on target.
    Damage to quarry species varies according to bullet construction all other things being equal.

HWH.

forget the recoil i purchased a 7mm rem mag was told it was a beast will kick the **** out of you ho hum not much more than my 243 and the rem mag is loaded to max im 6.2in tall not hevey and have zero isues with it kick recoil is a personal thing but i think to much tosh about it will do this that and the other are unfounded i you can try both personaly idgo with the bigger caliber you cannot beat hevey heads at fast speeds to knock big things over with gun desighn plays more of a role in how much felt recoil you get purchase a light rifle expect to get beet up with it example get a 12 bore shot gun now shoot it from the ground on abag then go shoot the bigest caliber rifle you can get your hands on il let you find out which kicks harder

Physics is physics, you can go to any calculator and get the physics answer. On the other hand, the sthe shape of the stock can make a lot of difference. If you'er copmparing, say two Rem 700s, the calculator will give you the answer. If you'er comparing to different stock designs, you must shoot both and determine. As a side note, and I have owned and reloaded for both: The 25-06 has considerable more muzzle blast, and needs at least a 24" (preferably a 26") barrel to get the most out of it. The 7-08 will do well with a 22" (better with a 24," adequate with a 20') barrel. capt david

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    Just stick with the 25-06, 117gr day in day out, from muntjac to big reds, 30 yards to 400+yds (yes), 26" barrel?? Ive a 20" barrelled tikka, shoots a dream, recoil/ flip minimal with a mod on, bullet in the right place you'll never notice the difference. Shot it on the hill side by side with colleagues using 270 308 30-06 and the animals all drop exactly the same, skinned out you'd never know what shot what either.

All this kerfuffling over calibre/ bullet type/ meat damage/ bullet drop/ recoil/ barrel length/ fluted/ varmmint/ mod on mod off/ fixed variable/ zeiss or hawke/ howa or blaser/ neck or chest/ reload or factory/ is all hocus pocus flim flam hoohaa nonsense. Get a rifle you like, and that you are confident in and you'll never need change.

Correct bullet placement at a sensible distance with a well designed projectile is more important than calibre or bullet weight used.
    For over 20 years in the Irish Republic we killed Reds, Hybrids, Sika and Fallow with .22cf pipsqueaks.
    Not by choice but by their perverse legislation at that time.

HWH.

I have a pair of 25-06 rifles at the moment .

Ones a Ruger #1B and the others a Browning B-78 that was made in the 1974-1982 range . Anyway I shoot the Nosler 115 BT in the Ruger and the Hornady 117 SST in the Browning . Both shoot nicely with little to no recoil . At the moment I don't own a 7mm-08 but in the past I've had a few and plan to get one in the next year or so for my fiancee . Anyway the 7-08's I had in the past were a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle and a Sako Hunter , both of them shot nicely with the Nosler 140 BT and killed a small pile of deer with them . Recoil is negligible also .

I think the 25-06 is better if you're gonna be shooting quite a bit at 300+ yards not to say that the 7-08 won't handle it also but if it were me I'd prefer the 25-06 .

Most of the deer I've killed with the 7-08 were shot inside 100 yards and typically if I did my part they dropped as if hit by a hammer . Now everything that said for the 7-08 can be said for the 280 REM . And the 280 REM at the 300+ yardage is in the same class with the 25-06 . In all the 280's I've owned the Nosler 140 BT did the trick as well . I've shot a few of the Hornady 139 SST in my present 280 REM but as of yet I've not killed a deer using that bullet . But Lord knows it does very well on paper .

Muddy,
    I hadn't considered the fact that a moderator would take care of the muzzle blast. Have you crony-ed your loads with the 20" barrel? With handloads and factory ammo we could never get the 25-06 to do better than 100fps than a 257 with the 22" barrel. We get about 2900fps using 120gn bullets in both the 7-08 and 25-06 with 22" barrel. capt david