Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Travel Insurance - Let this be a warning to everyone!

Travel Insurance - Let this be a warning to everyone!

Just come back from a great hunting/stalking trip to Finland. The shooting was amazing & the company even better! There was a slight down side to the trip though...

Finnair managed to lose my case completely, which had all my stalking gear in it - approximately 3,500+ to replace. They operate a limited liabilty policy & will only reimburse me 250 for the loss.
    I didnt take out travel insurance & my home insurance doesnt cover me, so ive lost all my gear.

It will be a long time before i can afford to replace it all & get out stalking again.
    So all those jumping on a plane with their stalking/shooting gear & thinking about taking a risk & not opting for the travel insurance... DONT TAKE THE RISK!!!

Its been a very hard lesson learned, but its a mistake i will never make again if i get the chance.

ATB

DA
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

Outch, so sorry to hear that, insurance always seems like such a waste of money, right up until you need to claim for something, then you appreciate it!
    I hope you get something sorted in the short term.
    ATB

Sorry to hear about that fella, I have on a number of occasions not bought insureance (forgot)...thankfully I've never been as unlucky as you have been. I do make a point of trying to pick some up before I leave.

Get saving, hope you manage to pick up some replacement kit soon.

Key thing is you still have your rifle, so it shouldn't stop you getting out. You might have to rely upon favourable weather conditions though.

All the best

Jim

check with your bank and all your credit card providers if they have travel insurance built into your policy, most bank accounts do these days, you just don't know it.

also keep calling your airline and any airports you travelled through for a few weeks to chase up and see if it's sitting in the corner of some lost luggage office (because it will be!)

otherwise complain to passengercomplaints@caa.co.uk

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Just had a quick look on the web and someone suggested that if you paid for your trip with a credit card there maybe travel insurance on there you didn't know about. Worth a check. Also are you sure your home ins. doesn't cover you. Don't give up.

Dale, I've PM'd you but it is worth insisting Finnair check the security room at Tampere - my case had been gone through there and a note inserted saying that a live round had been removed (apparently I can have it back if I go there in person and pay €5 ). It may be that you did something similar and they forgot to take your bag forward? Try contacting Tampere Airport directly if Finnair aren't playing ball - it's not as if that particular suitcase is inconspicuous!

Otherwise you are welcome to any kit I have that might help, although I appreciate the slight sizing discepancy where clothing and boots are concerned.

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Assassin View Post
    Just come back from a great hunting/stalking trip to Finland. The shooting was amazing & the company even better! There was a slight down side to the trip though...

Finnair managed to lose my case completely, which had all my stalking gear in it - approximately 3,500+ to replace. They operate a limited liabilty policy & will only reimburse me 250 for the loss.
    I didnt take out travel insurance & my home insurance doesnt cover me, so ive lost all my gear.

It will be a long time before i can afford to replace it all & get out stalking again.
    So all those jumping on a plane with their stalking/shooting gear & thinking about taking a risk & not opting for the travel insurance... DONT TAKE THE RISK!!!

Its been a very hard lesson learned, but its a mistake i will never make again if i get the chance.

ATB

DA

something not right here.
    If they have lost your entire luggage they are liable. end of. any insurance you have is a bonus and covers extraneous costs as a result of.....
    They have insurance and won't even be the ones paying out as it is not them its the handlers on the ground none of whom work for Finnair

dont roll over on this one, keep pursuing.
    most airlines will cover loss after only a significant period i.e 45 days

otherwise you are being paid for your inconvenience.
    Seriously, never accept any payment unless it is in full.

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Assassin View Post

ATB

DA
    Dont know you personally bud but I do feel for you,
    Pm me through your sizes and bits youve lost I will go through the garage and see what I have to help you out.
    Atvb Pierre
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

da how do you stand with your loss of equipment mines covered on the house policy what did they lose i had a similar nightmare in vegas a few years ago
    good luck tom

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    Finnair? geezuz thats very ordinary losing a customers complete kit and then claiming they will only pay a fraction of its worth.Personally I believe they are liable...let them know the power of the net,make up an abusive viral rant on utube and let it go around the world a few times...they will suddenly find it or at least the dosh!
    "you nae be needing these no more"
    I said as I slipped the knife through the cord

সাম্বার হরিণ