fox population in N.I

BIGRED

Has anyone else noticed a rise in fox numbers this year as im shooting more this year than ever .I have shot 12 in the passed month..I am also shooting more Rabbits than ever with an average off 20 a night but seeing a lot more ..
Why am i shooting and seeing a lot more than before???

Fox numbers seem well down here, they have been shot hard for the past 7 or 8 years, and it is showing. We have wild pheasants successfully raising broods this past few years. Hare numbers are recovering slowly too.

Rabbits are thin here, heavy clay soils.

Some of my permissions are holding more foxes and others that we shot hard last year seem to have very few. On a hole I think my numbers are down this year. Rabbits are either plentiful or non existent
Keith

totally unrelated, but have any of you fellow N.I guys heard the faux pas by Karen Patterson on Radio Ulster the other morning ??
i just posted a link in the jokes section, absolutely priceless !!!

Last edited:
Did you know the sentance "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" contains every letter in the English alphabet? Just some trivia if anyones interested.

I have never seen so many fox's as i have this year. on one small field in three looks round with the lamp five have fallen to the rifle and 2 been shot with shotguns during the pheasant shoot, we also saw 3 in one small wood last week. They are everywhere and everytime one gets shot a lot more move in.
I'll have to keep my eye out for the old RSPCA van driving around!

Whats a rabbit? Haven't seen one for months!!

Foxs about but so wet underfoot difficult to get at them at present.

D

Back