Thread: New to the game !!

New to the game !!

Hi all, as i need to introduce myself and my experience in this field- its simple... no experience whatsoever, love the mountains and outdoors but never thought about shooting Deer, but i love venison and good food is not cheap. I decided to go on the DSC1 course and passed this Sunday met some nice people and was suggested to join this site to get some advise.
    I live on Cambs/ Norfolk border and would like advise before even thinking about buying a rifle or applying for my FAC. Please help!!

Welcome it looks like you have made a good start, lots of helpful knowledgeable people on here just ask and you will
    get all the answers you need.

Welcome, Doctor!

I suggest that you start by asking the assembled Masses what they think the best all-round calibre for deer in the UK is.

[OK, I'm out of here. Bye bye, and good luck!].

Hi doc, welcome to the site. There's alot of practical knowledge and experience on this site, you've found the right place.

Later Alberta Boy

Welcome to the site,

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome. I am sure you will get a lot from it. Your not Too far away either. Till later. Regards Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwhoswho View Post
    Hi all, as i need to introduce myself and my experience in this field- its simple... no experience whatsoever, love the mountains and outdoors but never thought about shooting Deer, but i love venison and good food is not cheap. I decided to go on the DSC1 course and passed this Sunday met some nice people and was suggested to join this site to get some advise.
    I live on Cambs/ Norfolk border and would like advise before even thinking about buying a rifle or applying for my FAC. Please help!!
    Welcome to the site. A very good place to start indeed.

My suggestion before you even think about gettig an FAC and subsequent rifle is to get yourself on a paid stalk. There are a lot of guys on here offering paid stalks, most will have a range that you can have a quick go on to make sure you can shoot and then go out for the day. Average price for the day would be about 150, some more, some less. Nearly all will have an "estate rifle" you can use. That way you can have a go at stalking and see what its all about and with any luck whoever you go out with will get you onto a deer.

I'm sure you'll be hooked, like everyone else on here, in which case you could then think about joining a local rifle club and then applying for your FAC.

Good luck with it all.

Regards

Jim