New to the game !!

Drwhoswho

Hi all, as i need to introduce myself and my experience in this field- its simple... no experience whatsoever, love the mountains and outdoors but never thought about shooting Deer, but i love venison and good food is not cheap. I decided to go on the DSC1 course and passed this Sunday met some nice people and was suggested to join this site to get some advise.
I live on Cambs/ Norfolk border and would like advise before even thinking about buying a rifle or applying for my FAC. Please help!!

Welcome it looks like you have made a good start, lots of helpful knowledgeable people on here just ask and you will
get all the answers you need.

Welcome, Doctor!

I suggest that you start by asking the assembled Masses what they think the best all-round calibre for deer in the UK is.

[OK, I'm out of here. Bye bye, and good luck!].

Hi doc, welcome to the site. There's alot of practical knowledge and experience on this site, you've found the right place.

Later Alberta Boy

Hi all, as i need to introduce myself and my experience in this field- its simple... no experience whatsoever, love the mountains and outdoors but never thought about shooting Deer, but i love venison and good food is not cheap. I decided to go on the DSC1 course and passed this Sunday met some nice people and was suggested to join this site to get some advise.
I live on Cambs/ Norfolk border and would like advise before even thinking about buying a rifle or applying for my FAC. Please help!!

Welcome to the site. A very good place to start indeed.

My suggestion before you even think about gettig an FAC and subsequent rifle is to get yourself on a paid stalk. There are a lot of guys on here offering paid stalks, most will have a range that you can have a quick go on to make sure you can shoot and then go out for the day. Average price for the day would be about £150, some more, some less. Nearly all will have an "estate rifle" you can use. That way you can have a go at stalking and see what its all about and with any luck whoever you go out with will get you onto a deer.

I'm sure you'll be hooked, like everyone else on here, in which case you could then think about joining a local rifle club and then applying for your FAC.

Good luck with it all.

Regards

Jim

Back