Thread: Reds on autumn watch bbc2

Reds on autumn watch bbc2

As title on now

not bad stags seen 3 in the middle of village the day at lochmaree

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    And there I was waiting patiently for Michaela's live action beaver cam instead all I saw was something resembling some very scrubby bush, C'MON

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    And there I was waiting patiently for Michaela's live action beaver cam instead all I saw was something resembling some very scrubby bush, C'MON

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I missed even that, I saw the first 10 minutes or so, and then fell asleep

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post

I was suprised just how big it was!

deer tagged and ear notched i saw one hind with a radio collar on as well
    a barony original

I turned off when they started waxing lyrical about the Grey Squirrel. Nothing about Squirrel pox, killing off the red, song bird predation. No wonder many people have an unrealistic image of the countryside and HATE people that actively control animals. Everything is presented to them with a filter to take out anything unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Springer View Post
    Packham's quote 'none of the stags from 2 years ago are still with us' - I seem to remember him saying back then that no deer are shot there and their big shed full of antlers are all from natural casualties...great big fib. "The judicious introduction of park blood by the island's 19th century private owners and subsequent careful management, has resulted in very good heads, in comparison with many highland estates. Twelve-pointers (royals) and above are plentiful" They make sure autumnwatch come after the season finishes so there's no claret and gralloch on the 'greens'

The isle of Rhum or if you prefer Rum has always been a bit different for many years it was under the control of the Nature Conservancy Council there has been stalking or no stalking policy at various times.

While under the Nature Conservancy there was no sport stalking on the Island though they did employ a stalker
    All deer research work carried out on red deer to place on Rhum including studies into life cycle and natural mortality over which time I believe no stalking took place on the island.

The professional stalkers course was held each year on Rhum this was a weeks course ran by the British Field Sports Society in conjunction with the Nature Conservancy and the Red Deer Commission.

A modernised version of this course is now run at Thurso college

SNH are now responsible for the island and in recent years there has been some let stalking on the island, but it was again stopped in 2012.

There is a lad who was involved with Rhum last year who is a member on this forum and he may wish to comment.

I think the Quality of the heads on Rhum has more to do with the quality of the food available than to any introduction of park blood.

Park blood was introduced to many Highland estates and the results were almost invariably the same, big park stags did not seem to produce better youngsters, and within a couple of years the big park stags had regressed
    so that they were little better than the native stags.

Likewise Highland stags taken and placed in a park environment have shown a great improvement in both body weight and antler quality.

Research seems to show that food quality has more effect on antler quality than any other factor.

The deer on Rhum like many island deer populations eat a lot of seaweed which is high it nutrients and
    which probably contributes more to the quality of the heads than any introduction of park blood.