Non-toxic cartridges & choke.

Moonraker68

I'm off for a duck flight tomorrow evening, and will need to pick up some non-toxic cartridges on my way. I shoot a Browning 525 with fixed 1/4 & 3/4 chokes. I know that steel is potentially a problem through anything more than 1/2 choke, but what would you recommend? I won't be getting through more than a box or two each season, so cost isn't the major factor.

I think you would be fine with either Bismuth or Tungsten Matrix. Both will make your eyes water on price but Tungsten Matrix is very close to lead ballistically. Have fun.

David.

I'm off for a duck flight tomorrow evening, and will need to pick up some non-toxic cartridges on my way. I shoot a Browning 525 with fixed 1/4 & 3/4 chokes. I know that steel is potentially a problem through anything more than 1/2 choke, but what would you recommend? I won't be getting through more than a box or two each season, so cost isn't the major factor.
Please, please,dont buy bismouth mate,it is utter sh-te,tungsten matrix is very good,heavy shot is awesome,steel can be very good provided its high performance steel(ie fast) dont use a lot of choke with big shot it will ruin your pattern,when using steel to shoot stuff for the hawk to eat,I shot some very impressive long range pigeons with gamebore 3" no 4s instant kills @ 40 yds plus,so much so that I have now moved onto it for 90% of my wildfowling,just sick to tungsten for geese, but if you can get some heavy shot give it a go, it really is incredible stuff.

Can't shoot steel through a 525 fixed choke as far as I know. They don't have the superior proof (at least the early 525s didn't so I am erring on the side of safety) and 3/4 choke is also a no no for steel. I know hevishot is wonderful, better than lead and a real killer but I didn't have a box to look up the choke restrictions. Quite a few guys I know use bismuth because it is very barrel friendl on an older gun and you can get it in fibre wad which is essential on some shoots.

David.

Please, please,dont buy bismouth mate,it is utter sh-te,tungsten matrix is very good,heavy shot is awesome,steel can be very good provided its high performance steel(ie fast) dont use a lot of choke with big shot it will ruin your pattern,when using steel to shoot stuff for the hawk to eat,I shot some very impressive long range pigeons with gamebore 3" no 4s instant kills @ 40 yds plus,so much so that I have now moved onto it for 90% of my wildfowling,just sick to tungsten for geese, but if you can get some heavy shot give it a go, it really is incredible stuff.

Hevi shot is okay but can't go through more than half choke. So you can only use it in one barrel! Same with the steel. Unless I am mistaken.

Can't shoot steel through a 525 fixed choke as far as I know. They don't have the superior proof (at least the early 525s didn't so I am erring on the side of safety) and 3/4 choke is also a no no for steel. I know hevishot is wonderful, better than lead and a real killer but I didn't have a box to look up the choke restrictions. Quite a few guys I know use bismuth because it is very barrel friendl on an older gun and you can get it in fibre wad which is essential on some shoots.

David.
Sure it is barrel freindly,but from experience it produces the most spectacular runners,if I had guests turn up to shoot duck with it I would have serious reservations about letting them shoot, if you cant shoot steel or heavy shot, then tungsten is the way to go, as good as lead and use through any choke you like.

Sure it is barrel freindly,but from experience it produces the most spectacular runners,if I had guests turn up to shoot duck with it I would have serious reservations about letting them shoot, if you cant shoot steel or heavy shot, then tungsten is the way to go, as good as lead and use through any choke you like.

+1

Back