View Poll Results: What fixed power scope do you use for deer stalking ?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4x

6 4.17%
  • 6x

43 29.86%
  • 7x

10 6.94%
  • 8x

84 58.33%
  • 10x

11 7.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What fixed power scope do you use

What fixed power scope do you use

What fixed power scope do you use ? I'm trying to decide what to go for next .

Quote Originally Posted by Acm View Post
    What fixed power scope do you use ? I'm trying to decide what to go for next .
    do yourself a favout mate and get a variable,then you can use it from 4 to 10 which will tick all the boxes of your poll,why limit yourself

Consistency is the route of accuracy my friend. He who shots the same rifle , same scope, same power has advantages that you cannot imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by 308boy View Post
    Consistency is the route of accuracy my friend. He who shots the same rifle , same scope, same power has advantages that you cannot imagine.
    care to share your words of wisdom,as i havnt found any advantage using the same mag,now using the same scoped rifle,well that goes without saying

I would normally try and keep thing simple 8x on scope & binos, in that way you get very near

the same sight picture/ field of veiw. Thats not to say I don't own/use a vari ( normally set on 8x)

as it also has it's advantages.

Just my opinion mind you.

Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Aye Iam the same as Uncle Buck. I have two vari scopes but they never moove from 8 as thats the mag of my binos. If I can see it clearly in my Binos I know I can shoot it. Cheers Hootsman
    Just Shoot The F..king Thing!

On my stalking & foxing rifles I have variable mag scopes but I have a cheap as chips Tasco
    4 x 40 on my rimfire for bunny bashing.
    Wingy

On big game rifles I use 4X scopes and on any rifle I'm shooting off hand. (Which is most of them) I may have a variable of some sort, but they are almost always set at 3X or 4X. This said, I have two rifles with fixed 6X scopes. My 22 Hornet and my Savage Long Range hunter. The CZ Hornet is usually shot off of a rest at prairiedogs but I can manage it off hand. The Savage is OK off hand due to it's weight and balance, but normally gets shot off of a bipod.~Muir

I have to agree with 308boy....

I have matching Bushnell Elites (2.5-16x50) on my air rifle and .22lr. I have the same bushnell but in (4.5-30x50) on my .17hmr.

My rimfires are both Anschutz and mounted with the same scope makes them feel exactly the same when I pick them up. I set the triggers with the same pull and generally shoot on 10x mag as I use mildot for rangefinding and trajectory compensation.

Now, all that said, those are my setups for vermin control. I am awaiting my variation for .308 but have decided to stay away from vari-mag scopes for deer stalking. Reasons being, the target area is a lot larger on a deer and I am thinking that glass quality is going to be of more use to me while stalking around woods and shooting during dusk and dawn. I was always told that the pupil is 7mm max. Therefore light transmission from a 8x56 swaro should be about as good as I can get and without vari-mag I can pick a new one up for 800.

That is my line of thinking anyway!

Happy Hunting!

Quote Originally Posted by 308boy View Post
    Always thought the "beware the man with only one gun" cliche was a load of bollokks, certainly pertaining to rifles - shotguns are nother matter.

I would suggest you watch the guy with a number of really good rifles and scopes, particularly if he burns a dozen or 15 tubs of powder per year.....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......