Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good news?

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    IMO no, higher prices will force many out of deer stalking and down the chain to shooting vermin, which a lot are willing to pay for so they can keep up their shooting.
    This inturn will force out those who provided free vermin control for landowners on a goodwill basis in return for permission to shoot.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    IMO no, higher prices will force many out of deer stalking and down the chain to shooting vermin, which a lot are willing to pay for so they can keep up their shooting.
    This inturn will force out those who provided free vermin control for landowners on a goodwill basis in return for permission to shoot.

Ian.
    Yes, I have mixed feelings.

Great for those employed in the industry, not so good for the common man!

In the long run though, it'll probably be a case of some for everyone or none for anyone. All for just a few is probably not on the cards in the long run. So that makes it good news collectively, but not necessarily individually.

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    Yes, I have mixed feelings.

Great for those employed in the industry, not so good for the common man!
    bambi, myself and my shooting buddy have been victims of this although not from deerstalkers but driven pheasant shooters.
    We had negociated vermin shooting with a landowner on an livestock farm but two weeks later when we phoned the landowner to say we were coming to shoot, he informed us that he had sold the shooting to two guys for 600 exclusively, who knocked his door!!
    To say we were pi$$ed off is an understatement, and he did not even have the decency to ring us and tell
    us what he had done.

Ian.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    bambi, myself and my shooting buddy have been victims of this although not from deerstalkers but driven pheasant shooters.
    We had negociated vermin shooting with a landowner on an livestock farm but two weeks later when we phoned the landowner to say we were coming to shoot, he informed us that he had sold the shooting to two guys for 600 exclusively, who knocked his door!!
    To say we were pi$$ed off is an understatement, and he did not even have the decency to ring us and tell
    us what he had done.

Ian.
    What did you actually negotiate with the landowner?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    What did you actually negotiate with the landowner?
    Free vermin shooting in return for the right to shoot vermin on his land, in other words, "let is come and shoot vermin on your land and we will do it for nothing".

Ian.

Account Suspended
    If people are queuing to pay for something, it will always available to them. If people are trying to get something for nothing, it will only be available to them so long as no better offer comes along. Isn't that usually the way of things?

They say the best things in life come free, but I'm pretty sure that the most valuable things in life rarely get given away for nothing... for long.

Well said Tamus,

I think people forget farmers are business people and money is not easy accumulated whilst working in agriculture. In my experience farmers will take any opportunity to receive payments for shooting its a no brainier. Its common sense to try and maximise any assist you may have.

If you live close to a city the chances are you are already paying for shooting and if not in time you will. Its a fact deer stalking is becoming more and more popular and people will pay for the opportunity to be involved in what most outsiders consider an elitist sport. Whether you think you can do a better job doesn’t really matter if money is involved.

Regards,
    Glendine.

I think the days of free shooting are coming to an end, more and more people prepared to pay , Europeans prepared to pay good money for what we used to very often regard as free, rabbits, hares, pigeons, goose flighting.

I know of estates getting 10 a hare for a day on hill hares, 10 guns 100 hares for the day theres a 1000 for the estate, 50 per gun for a day 4 guns couple of hundred quid for the day walking up rabbits with a keeper
    and a couple of spaniels.

Can't blame the landowners,farmers we just need to except thats the future, some will not be able to afford to pay for their shooting, others will decide not to, unfortunately they will disappear from the shooting world to be replaced by them that can and will pay.

And yes deer stalking seems to becoming more popular, which means cost of leases and day stalking will continue to rise.