how common is this

toad

just got back from scotland . shot this doe with one button felt really **** when i first seen it thought i had cocked up on the id . especially
because it was a verry strong runner . a lung shot with 65grain vmax and she still managed run over 100meters into thick forest. it took me what seemed for ever to find her.well it wasnt me who found her it was buzz my lab.so glad he was ther again i will never stalk without him again .

Not hugely common, but have seen quite a few knobbly does.

Always a bit of head scratching when 1st encountered!

Always interesting when you get anomalies like this. I would up your bullet weight to at least 80 grain and use something with a bit more weight retention. I could never be confident using 65gr Vmax especially for chest shots.

....forgot the initial question..... On a ground I stalk I would guess 1 in 20 does have nobbles some more protruding than others but none have been proper antlers that I have seen.

Last edited:
heres mine from the begining of the year atb wayne.
iphone119.jpg

and maybe the cause
iphone118.jpg

that looks nasty did you open it up.moose i didnt look at her teeth what a muppet i am . i have just been reading another thread which supports your theory a testosterone inbalance usually with older does

i couldnt find any other enlarged nodes or any other signs to say it was unfit so i did eat it after asking a few more questions . All i can say was at the end of the lump it had a hole which looked like some sort of damage possibly a pellet or cut of somesorts that didnt heal well and i really did spend alot of time checking the carcass before moving it and butchering , atb wayne

I have seen 2 on the same day with full antlers, one is still about but hoping to catch up with her soon before she drops her antlers (known her for 3 years and watched the antlers grow) and the other was found dying on a pheasant drive at work last year.
DSCF2426.jpg

I have seen 2 on the same day with full antlers, one is still about but hoping to catch up with her soon before she drops her antlers (known her for 3 years and watched the antlers grow) and the other was found dying on a pheasant drive at work last year.
DSCF2426.jpg

That's just weird!
I've never seen anything like it.
Great picture!:thumb:
MS

Great picture. Looks like she's in hard horn as well! Never seen a doe in hard horn, seen a couple in velvet with buttons etc.

Ben, does she cast the antlers?

Cheers everyone, the other one we culled was in velvet every time I saw her but this one goes through the same cycle as the bucks, I was out for her on the 1st nov and saw her but she has cast her antlers already and has healed over with velvet, I have known her for long enough now and will cull her at the end of the season when she's grown a new set although they will still be in velvet. I would have taken her early this year as I know she has lost both of her twins, when I first saw her she only had a single spike on one side but they have been developing each year and growing to the point where she had 5 points last year, it'll be interesting to see what she grows this year.

I have shot two does with double buttons, both were very old, I assume it may be something to do with the hormones changing?
A bit like hairy grannies:eek: LOL

Back