Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New load

New load

Hi, can anyone help. I bought a 308 secondhand,chap I bought it from loaded me some rounds 45.8 gr vit n140, 150 gr sst bullet. Just didn't get on with them so reloaded, starting from 39.9 up to 47.7. A load of 43.1 suddenly went to sub .5 nch group.
    the bullet length was 2.765 (the same as the ones loaded by the previous owner) have measured chamber and it is 2.869 long.
    the rounds are for hunting so here is the question. Should I stick with 43.1 at 2.765 or should I reload 43.1 at various lengths up to .015 off the full length. Will the accuracy increase by getting closer to the lands?

thanks for taking time to answer.

The common term for this is called tinkeritis , You could try for the next accuracy node or accept a good job done and save your barrel life .

Cheers

Personally I would go with the accuracy load for normal stalking ranges. The slight reduction in muzzle velocity will be relatively insignificant when it comes to performance on game. You could load up some batches with differing seating depths to see if you can improve things but you may spend a lot of time chasing a very small improvement compared to your current accuracy load. If you enjoy the fiddling and can test new loads easily then fine, otherwise you have a cracking load there

Good to hear. Will save barrels and be happy I got lucky first time.
    thanks for your advice

all my loads for the .270 are below factory speeds (3100fps)
    they just work like that, never got as far as trying the hotter ones once the mid to high MV ones produced decent groups
    28-2900fps is perfect for deer distances IMO

I guess it depends if you get enjoyment out of making changes and so on, if you do then go for it and try as many combinations as you can. Otherwise I'd just be happy.

I worked up a 150 grain Hornady Spire Point load for my 308 and it turned out it was giving me 3000fps. When I changed to the 150 grain Nosler Partition I had to reduce the load a bit to get accuracy, though there was no pressure signs with the same power weight behind them. The Noslers have become my standard load and when I fired them over the chrony it turns out they are only giving me about 2700 at the muzzle. They kill everything they hit and the difference in trajectory is so small as not to matter in the real world at stalking ranges.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Hi, can anyone help. I bought a 308 secondhand,chap I bought it from loaded me some rounds 45.8 gr vit n140, 150 gr sst bullet. Just didn't get on with them so reloaded, starting from 39.9 up to 47.7. A load of 43.1 suddenly went to sub .5 nch group.
    the bullet length was 2.765 (the same as the ones loaded by the previous owner) have measured chamber and it is 2.869 long.
    the rounds are for hunting so here is the question. Should I stick with 43.1 at 2.765 or should I reload 43.1 at various lengths up to .015 off the full length. Will the accuracy increase by getting closer to the lands?

If you want to experiment, I say "Have at it!" Just don't feel obligated to load to however-many-thou-off-the-lands- is popular these days. More synapses needlessly fire over the worry about this. It shoots sub 1/2 MOA? What more do you want? My Savage 308 shoots ten consecutive shots inside a .75" circle from a prone bipod at 100M if I ask it to and it's loaded to minimum OAL.

Don't fix what ain't broke.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 31-10-2012 at 21:11.

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post

I would be more thn happy with that group from any stalking rifle and home load.

nutty

Quote Originally Posted by nuttyspaniel View Post
    I would be more thn happy with that group from any stalking rifle and home load.

nutty
    True that. I'm reminded of a novice shooter I came across at the range one day, many years ago. He had a scoped #4 .303 and was shooting Winchester factory ammo. He had the most disgusted look on his face! Being a .303 guy, I asked what the problem was. He said the d--ned rifle didn't shoot and offered me some sub MOA clusters as proof. His assumption was that all the bullets were supposed to go through the same hole every shot! I straightened him out**.~Muir

(** After I unsuccessfully tried to buy the rifle from him, of course!)