The Practical Guide to Long Range Hunting Rifles

Have read the book in electronic format and my hard copy arrived in the post this morning. I have found the book to be both informative and easy to read. I would strongly suggest we all read this if you are interested in rifle accuracy. My only comment is with regards to the name because there is so much in this book that will benefit the keen stalker/rifleman , the title may put some folks off who may find long range to be distasteful. Don't be put off, get a copy and have a read

"Long Range" is relative. Most of the 200+ deer I saw this weekend were around 200 yards. The really close ones were 150, many were 275 to 325 yards. My hunting partner shot his from kneeling at 215 yards with his 30-06 and considered it a normal shooting situation. Some woodland hunters would have had a different take on that shot if it was presented to them.~Muir

"Long Range" is relative. Most of the 200+ deer I saw this weekend were around 200 yards. The really close ones were 150, many were 275 to 325 yards. My hunting partner shot his from kneeling at 215 yards with his 30-06 and considered it a normal shooting situation. Some woodland hunters would have had a different take on that shot if it was presented to them.~Muir

+1
Why are so many insistent about getting close enough to sniff the backside of the deer you are going to shoot? And then so keen too down anyone who can take a longer shot?

Over the years I've kept a game log with big game kills . I typically put the day , time , distance , cartridge , rifle , load , scope etc .

Let me also say that I mainly hunt in woods . Each year for the last 20 I average about 11 or 12 deer a year . At the end of the year I do an average of all my shots . More years then not my shot distance averaged less then 50 yards . I have no problem with shooting them further , but most of where I hunt you cannot see much more then 100 yards at best .

Out of about 240 deer or so I think I can count on my two hands the number I have shot that the distance was greater then 150 yards !

Back