Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever made their own walking stick

Anyone ever made their own walking stick

As the title says has anyone ever made their own walking stick? I ask as I want to make 1 for myself using antler. Seasoned sticks can be easily bought online. A bit of a stags antler is easily accesible as can spacers etc. I wouldnt think it would be that hard, just perhaps time consuming.

nutty

make a few for presents for folk much better than a shop brought prezzy anything made with your own hands is a superb gift .they are as easy or difficult as you want them to be !
    norma

I have made several different sticks made one for my brother for when he takes is eagle owl out for a walk so that he can rest is arm on it took some time to find right piece of antler to fit but very enjoyable to do

Dogflyer

Not that hard John plenty hazel shanks about but you need to let them season tie in bundles or to something to keep straight, antler is easy to work, tup's horn is an art need to heat it to bend it then carve.

Attach your antler to stick with length of threaded rod and use araldite to fix.

Roe front leg makes a good handle bend and tie into position to fix ideally cure in some way I was going to try diesel curing details on here somewhere, but I am not sure if it would be any good as it should really be applied to the flesh side of hide and thats not possible using a leg it as you can only get access to the hair side.

Ash can make a decent stick dig down to the root before cutting you will often find a nice curve that can be shaped into a handle.

I can make a working stick, but some guys make sticks that are works of art, and I am just not in that class.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Not that hard John plenty hazel shanks about but you need to let them season tie in bundles or to something to keep straight, antler is easy to work, tup's horn is an art need to heat it to bend it then carve.

Attach your antler to stick with length of threaded rod and use araldite to fix.

Roe front leg makes a good handle bend and tie into position to fix ideally cure in some way I was going to try diesel curing details on here somewhere, but I am not sure if it would be any good as it should really be applied to the flesh side of hide and thats not possible using a leg it as you can only get access to the hair side.

Ash can make a decent stick dig down to the root before cutting you will often find a nice curve that can be shaped into a handle.

I can make a working stick, but some guys make sticks that are works of art, and I am just not in that class.

Thats roughly the way I was thinking bud. Though the Stags are passed Im hoping to come by an antler or 2. I plan on stripping the bark of giving the shank a wee sand then oiling. Also using a spacer which I can get when I buy a shank. If it works Ill be on the rake for Hazel so I can have it seasoned it and ready for a special bit of Antler.

nutty

Nutty. I make a few I can sort you out with Hazel sticks got about 130 acres of it. To straighten buy a hot air gun from B&Q just heat up where you need to straighten and just put it over your knee and away you go,easy.
    The easiest handle is a brow tine off a fallow, Sika antlers make the best thumb sticks.
    Wf1

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    Nutty. I make a few I can sort you out with Hazel sticks got about 130 acres of it. To straighten buy a hot air gun from B&Q just heat up where you need to straighten and just put it over your knee and away you go,easy.
    The easiest handle is a brow tine off a fallow, Sika antlers make the best thumb sticks.
    Wf1
    Cheers matey.

nutty

Nutty . Iwill cut you a dozen in the next two weeks and send them up.
    Wf1

Cougar nice work. Here's a question! do you saw the antlers off below the cornet or is there another method?

nutty