Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .22 lr @ 400+ yds

.22 lr @ 400+ yds

All a bit 'hill billy' but certainly ups the ante on the useable range of a .22lr
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

I've used the MoD battle training area at STANTA for target shooting a number of times over the years. The targets are half Fig 11 soldier with a sensor in, when you hit them they drop down, and the chap in the control tower puts them back up again electronically. Depending which range you are on the targets are at random distances from about 50 yards out to 800, most in the 100 to 400 range.

It's very addictive, and you can easily get through 3-400 rounds in a day

Last time I was there I thought I would take my .22LR semi auto Sig 522 for a giggle.

It was hitting the targets at approx 300 yards (a soldier head and shoulders in the window of a building) with enough velocity to set the sensor off and drop the targets

Once I had worked it out, I reckon I was using around 8-10 feet holdover - the scope on my Sig has a Christmas tree reticle with the tip of the tree as the centre, I was aiming somewhere near the rootball

I saw a similar video on the net a while back

Someone was shooting at frozen turkeys (may have been defrosted first) at over 600m & the .22lr was going straight through them

It says on the box of my Geco .22 dangerous up to 1 mile, that's 1762 yards I think. Unimagible for a rimfire!

I read something along the lines of : if you fire a .22lr at 32 degrees from horizontal it will strike the ground over a mile away and still have enough energy to bury itself 6" in the soil. I wonder what sort of elevation these guys were firing at, in the first one the guy stated he ran out of adjustment dialing in 300 yds
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

Like so much, it's not a question of velocity or lethality, but more one of actually hitting the target.

Quote Originally Posted by David TS View Post
    It was hitting the targets at approx 300 yards (a soldier head and shoulders in the window of a building) with enough velocity to set the sensor off and drop the targets

You can drop an etr target by using a peashooter with a frozen pea, it's quite surprising how sensitive they are. Oh, the 'half fig11' is a fig12, and the 'head and shoulders' is a fig14

Don't think FLOs will take on this guys Guidance

"Everybody MUST own a 22"

especially for Apocolyptic survival situations!!!!!!

Where do they dig these guys up?????

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    You can drop an etr target by using a peashooter with a frozen pea, it's quite surprising how sensitive they are. Oh, the 'half fig11' is a fig12, and the 'head and shoulders' is a fig14
    Not the ones at STANTA, they are shot to ####. You can hit some of them with a .300 Win Mag and they still sit there looking at you . It must be that, it couldn't be Landmarc's maintenance

I was aware of Fig 12 etc, I just couldn't remember which one it was and couldn't be arsed to look it up .