My new extraction setup!

PointBlank

Hi all

Got the winch ramp etc all finished in the back of my Hilux now after a couple of evenings in the workshop and thought I would share some pictures of it in action for the first time this morning, Yes I know it's only a Roe doe and a Fallow pricket but I had to try out my new toy! :D

jhIuTl.jpg

9FCsBl.jpg

iKshpl.jpg

xi8Vhl.jpg

That is where I got my inspiration

See, FC ain't all that bad? :stir:

Only comment, just watch if you have a big stag, it puts a hell of a weight on the tail gate. We bent a few [vauxhaul bravas, right enought] , so we flipped the tail gate right down and fastened the "skid" to the body, via a couple of lugs.

Only one thing worse than a Vauxhaul brava 4x4

a 2 wheel drive brava!

Spooky, I have almost the identical set up, hilux, tray, winch........wish I'd had your forethought about stowing the ramp the way you have, looks like a tidy job.

ATB
Andy

See, FC ain't all that bad? :stir:

You won't catch me knocking the FC ;)

Only comment, just watch if you have a big stag, it puts a hell of a weight on the tail gate. We bent a few [vauxhaul bravas, right enought] , so we flipped the tail gate right down and fastened the "skid" to the body, via a couple of lugs.

Unfortunately A nice big stag didn't decide to visit this estate today otherwise I could have given it a proper test :D

Spooky, I have almost the identical set up, hilux, tray, winch........wish I'd had your forethought about stowing the ramp the way you have, looks like a tidy job.

ATB
Andy

Only mistake I have made is making the ramp from 4mm aluminium which is a bit heavier then needed with the reinforcement on the back, I also made it a bit too wide because I made it before I got hold of the tray. I can always adjust it or make a "mark 2" but to be honest it isn't going to get used every day of the week but is very handy to have in case something bigger turns up. ;)

Thats proper tidy job mate, well done.

Makes my hand pulley and wooden plank system look, well we'll say no more about that......

Hope you get to use it alot.

Bambislayer, in reference to dropping the tailgate , you cant drop it any lower on this model of Hilux !! If its the same model as mine which it looks like ! Almost a fault but as its a Toyota i dont think so:D

Last edited:
I saw a similar set up on an Izuzu last week which I think it came with direct from Izuzu - there are some draws in the bottom of the truck bed, one for rifles, one for the ramp which folds up and one for other bits; it was a very neat setup and folded away nicely. Having seen yours I might have to make a similar setup for my landy!

Oli

Bambislayer, in reference to dropping the tailgate , you cant drop it any lower on this model of Hilux !! If its the same model as mine which it looks like ! Almost a fault but as its a Toyota i dont think so:D

The commercial versions chuck away the back bumper and just have 2 rubber stops for the tailgate to go against, I did look into it but I thought I would leave the bumper on until there was an issue.

Kevin, how do the winch fixings fix to the tub and what weight will it pull. I don't mean the winch more intrested in the mountings.

Kevin, how do the winch fixings fix to the tub and what weight will it pull. I don't mean the winch more intrested in the mountings.

Hi Paul

The brackets are a piece of shaped 150x75 PFC fixed to the top of the wheel arches with another 12x50mm plate below approx 300mm long bolted in place with 3 M16 bolts on each side.

Not sure about maximum weight but I have dragged 3 fully grown fallow does up there before as well as all 4 of my kids and me when it was in it's commissioning stage ;)

I personally would have prefered to have a more solid fixing as there is a bit of flexing but I think the top of the wheel arches is probably sufficient for use with most deer (120kg max)

Kevin

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin,

120kg? Our Red are bigger than that! Think I will talk to an engineer although I'm sure it will be fine for everything else.

thanks.

​Paul

Thanks Kevin,

120kg? Our Red are bigger than that! Think I will talk to an engineer although I'm sure it will be fine for everything else.

thanks.

​Paul

I am sure it will be good for more than that as well but all I have tried it with was 120kg so far.

Looks like I will have to get the test weights out to test it properly. ;)

Ps I run a metal fabrication business so I have got a rough idea :)

Back