How wet

musgrave dave

After a good stalk the animal cleanly dispatched the awfull realisation hits home,Ive got to get this out !!! truck quad no chance to much damage to the rides ,On the sholders it goes not long before the classic heart lung job mine.So my question anybody tried a hovercraft for deer extraction?

Went out tonight and was wondering if I did shoot an animal what a long drag I would have had .as it was I nearly got stuck with the truck in 4x4 and diff in ,we had 41mm of rain last night
norma

Red Hind, 243m= 1 hour carcass retreve accross clearfell, loads of dead wood, boggy, uneven ground, hidden ankle breakers, just not pleasant. There is no way of getting a vehicle of any type over the terrain, a helicopter sounds like a good idea.

Must remember in the future that finding the deer is the easy part, pulling the trigger is a natural feeling, having my heart and lungs leaping out of my ar*e to get some more oxygen is not easy, not natural and not pleasant!!!!!

TJ

jonsered iron horse, if you can find one at a sensible price will track over stuff you cant walk over.

I've seen similar in FC Sheds, look the part it has to be said.

they are in the shed for a reason!

used them in Scandinavia , taking moose out - great! don't take them on restock!!! You'll see what the underneath looks like.

best thing for restocks, good path network put in place when the machine is in mounding.

One piece of kit that really works, is a petrol driven capstan winch, with as much rope you can carry.

Got a mini forwarder that I know all to well what the underside looks like :) .

I do like the iron horse on boggy ground, but the old three wheel Honda took some beating in terms of going over really wet ground if it was flat

if you can find one a Honda HP400 or 500 would do similar to the iron horse they are sometimes called a power carrier it is used for landscaping has tracks and a load bed

image-171.jpg
this is a honda power carrier just in case your interested

I've got a Järnhäst (ironhorse) used within its limitations a great tool. The winch on mine is quite scarey. with to much pulling power for the machine.

It's so wet around here I'm taking the Disco into the Garage to get the steering wheel removed and a rudder fitted!.

Stupid enough to go out last night foxing...rain was biblical yet in Preston where they make speed camera's and rain they had none....17 miles away!

Last edited:
Easiest way to get difficult to extract beasts is to take off the haunches, take off the shoulders and cut out the backstraps and load into one or two backpacks. OK if going into local consumption or you are btchering the meat before sale, but appreciate the difficulties with sending to a game dealer.

Red Hind, 243m= 1 hour carcass retreve accross clearfell, loads of dead wood, boggy, uneven ground, hidden ankle breakers, just not pleasant. There is no way of getting a vehicle of any type over the terrain, a helicopter sounds like a good idea.

Must remember in the future that finding the deer is the easy part, pulling the trigger is a natural feeling, having my heart and lungs leaping out of my ar*e to get some more oxygen is not easy, not natural and not pleasant!!!!!

TJ

:lol:

Think/figure it out "before" you shoot.
A good sledge even drag bag is a good tool and a lot easier too go fetch and drag the deer on, lot easier on carcass and man alike.

I have an Argo that i fitted snow tracks too, i can drive across almost anything without damaging the floor surface. It certainly wouldnt damage a ride thats for sure.

What exactly was it you were shooting ?? Red, Fallow Roe ??

Ads

Like Heym said, butcher it in the field, just have a clean sheet you can put it on and a few nice big ziplock bags. If for own consumption of course..

Back