Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 303 british

303 british

Hello all, I may be beating a dead horse, but I've noticed no-one seems to mention the 303 Brit on this site. Just curious to see how many of you use one.

Its still an extremely popular round here( 303's & 30-30 winchesters have probably taken more game in Canada than any other caliber there is) I used my Parker Hale No. 4 conversion to take two white-tails(almost instant kills) in the first week of October.

My nephew took his first Mule-Deer on the same trip with his Enfield at just under 200 yrd's.The best part was that it was my first rifle, my father used it for many years before he gave it to me 37 years ago. My dad, a proud Englishman and WWII vet, passed away April 29th of this year. He carried an Enfield from when he was a very young man during the war until his last hunt at the age of 83. One rifle, 3 generations , and it still puts meat on the table. I like to think that the old man was there a few weeks ago, he would've been proud of the boy.

We miss you Da

Alberta boy

Sorry boys, I didn't mean to go off on a tangent lol

Seems to me I read somewhere a number of years ago about a Kiwi fellow making a series of cartridges based on the 303 Brit . Always though a 6.5mm-303 Brit on a SMLE would be intresting if I could get a decent trigger on one of the darn things !

Well I for 1 still use my great grandfathers Lee-Enfield Mk III whimsically on everything from grey crows to deer. I was contempalting a conversion, but it's being postoned now for over 8 years, saying that I'm waitng for my gunsmith to complete a a lee enfield to .204 converion as then I can go 222 mag
    Mine will stay .303 until I'm old simples, along side my 222 mags and 222's
    Accuracy over velocity please.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    would be intresting if I could get a decent trigger on one of the darn things !
    about a week with a small file and sand paper and a couple of screwdrivers...................can be made into a lovely crisp no creep 1.75Lb trigger.

I just refound what I read before .

Was a guy named Ellwood Epps in Canada . Seems he did the plain Jane neck it to caliber thing as well as blowing the shoulders out like Ackley . Oh yeah so i was incoorect in my original thought that the guy I had read about was a Kiwi .

Now the 2 million dollar question , is it possible to get a target worthy trigger in a SMLE by that I mean 2 pounds or less with NO creep ?
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 02-11-2012 at 00:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    about a week with a small file and sand paper and a couple of screwdrivers...................can be made into a lovely crisp no creep 1.75Lb trigger.
    Okay that doesn't sound so bad , was hoping someone made a drop in trigger .

What is SOP for getting a low scope mount on a SMLE ?

My 2 Cent's the only way I know to get a nice trigger on an Enfiled is to work at it IMO that's why it takes a week or so to accomplish I think the were 5-6 ish from the factory or prof gunsmith.
    I've not used many new shell's.....................I still have 1,800 ish 1921 ex british military rounds that are fine without pulling and reloading, the 174gr PPU are a reasonable shell if weighed before use.

not being a ass, there are pic / weav rail makers out there google enfiled picanty lots of hits I'm still using the orig peeps!
    Last edited by Chesapeake; 02-11-2012 at 00:42.

I have a Winchester P'14 - (but it is in storage at the gunshop until my FAC variation either gets issued or the FLO retires in 2 years time & the paperwork is passed down to the next bloke)

I've heard about some of the very strange necked-down 'roo shooting conversions to the 303 cartridge that did the rounds in Australia in the '50s & '60s.

Have also read about some chaps having work done so that the 303 case takes a 308 bullet - but I cannot recall what method they used to do this...it MAY have been a gunsmith job that was carried out with a new barrel when they were unable to find a genuine 303 barrel (may dig around to refresh my memory later)

The SMK bullet is supposed to be nice in the 303 - will be getting some to try once the P'14 has it's pass rubber stamped...

I have a good amount of HXP brass to use for reloads - and in my older collection I have all sorts of fired Kynoch & military brass & associated odds & ends: clips, chamber cleaning sticks, cleaning rod chamber guides, WW1 & WW2 manuals, chamber funnels, slings, etc.

Trained on the No.4 at the tender age of 12 - back then the rifle was the same height as I was - I gathered a good crowd at rifle drill practice & some of the veterans at the Rememberance Parade even did a double take - a rifle with legs, they'd not seen the like before...

First 303 I had was a Lithgow 1918 SMLE. Nice rifle. Then had a Maltby made pre-spec. No.4(T) - not a nice rifle. The Winchester will be used as a No.3(T)('18) as I have a Pattern '18 sitting waiting to meet it.

AlbertaBoy - what regiment was your dad in? Sorry to hear he is no longer with you, but at least he was able to live in Canada rather than exist in the UK following his army service. The commonwealth countries have always looked after their veterans much better than the UK has!

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    not being a ass, there are pic / weav rail makers out there google enfiled picanty lots of hits I'm still using the orig peeps!
    This one doesn't look to bad and I like it better then the Picatinney type !

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/enfield/enfield_jc_2a.jpg