Flights to Africa

tusker

Looking at flights to East London in Africa. Someone recomended Airfrance. Has anyone any experience of them or who would you recommend. Cost is important but if its only the difference of £50 I would prefer the better service.
Thank, Tusker

I have used KLM (via Amsterdam) for about five different countries in East and Southern Africa - they are always good value and we have never had a problem with them
NB - Some baggage handlers in S.A. particularly, can be somewhat less than gentle with your luggage!

Hi, I fly emirates every time, they have a fantastic service and i found them cheaper and you get a lot of baggage allowance too, but i would really recomend using the safe search in your browser or turning off cookies as they remember when you want to go and will charge you more later on when you want to book it.

Air France are not very good old aircraft, emirates are the best providing they fly to the desired destination, only air France go to my regular haunt so I have to suffer them!

Air France use A380 to Jo'burg. Twice a year I do the Manchester - Paris - Joburg route. Guns always turn up OK in the SAPS office at Joburg.

Stan

8 trips to Africa with Virgin,no problems then South African Airways for internal flights.
Only hassle with SAA is they try and charge you for extra baggage for your guns.
I have a report from their CEO stating that no payment is required.
I can scan and send on if anyone wants one.

DavieH

Air France use A380 to Jo'burg. Twice a year I do the Manchester - Paris - Joburg route. Guns always turn up OK in the SAPS office at Joburg.

Stan

This, we went on an A380 from Paris to Jo'burg. Not exactly an 'old aircraft' really. :)

This, we went on an A380 from Paris to Jo'burg. Not exactly an 'old aircraft' really. :)

They must use better aircraft for SA then, they fly well used/abused Boeing's to WA, only ever done BA to SA.

Two of us had our gun cases damaged on an Air france flight to charless degaulle airport from Joberg, both of us had a hell of a time getting composation from them for damaged scopes and binns, will never go with them again, used Virgin last year and will use again in June. deerwarden

flew with SAA a few years back no probs with guns or luggage bit of a rush to get to el tampo to catch flight to Port Elizabeth but managed ok thanks to the bus boys pushing to the front of the Q for us only prob was you could carry ammunition in a seperate locked container in your hold luggage from Heathrow to Joburg but on the flight to PE it had to be seperate good trip though

ATB Paul D

I've used both air France and emirates. Emirates is a pain having to go to Dubai, although you can get the cheap fags there for the trackers etc. Having read a bit on here I'm going to check Virgin for my trip next year.

Deerwarden,

And do you think any other airline will compensate differently?

Luggage will always be damaged, that's a given. All airlines T&Cs advise you of the statuatory recompense and state that additional insurance s advised.

Stan

There were footprints over both rifle cases, mine was dented considerably and my Leupold 4.5x14x50 Lr was f****d, Air France were shown the damage on both airline approved cases at disembarking, they were several other people also complaining of damaged/missing items at LHR and dismissed it completely. My friend gave up after 3 months I carried on as there was a Lack of care on thier handlers with my luggage and sucessfully gained compensation after 7 months of being fobbed off, ignored, and having phones put done. Wasn't the damage that really peed me off, as that was obviously done by thier employees, it was the complete lack of customer relationship or concern on thier part on thier part. I'll spend my money elsewhere, Virgen and SAA appear to want you to travel with them, Air france merely transport you and poorly. deerwarden

Many thanks, guys, deffinatly wont be flying Air France, KLM look pretty reasonable and seem to have a good reputation. Have flown with SAA before without issues but they are a bit dear.
Tusker

Could I suggest that someone gets onto air France's Facebook page and tell them to look at the above comments. I got compensation from KLM after I loaded their page with my very legitimate complaints. They didn't like I at all.

Many thanks, guys, deffinatly wont be flying Air France, KLM look pretty reasonable and seem to have a good reputation. Have flown with SAA before without issues but they are a bit dear.
Tusker

Just so everone is aware, KLM and Air France are now the same company. I have booked flights through KLM , gone out on an Air France plane and returned via KLM.

Just so everone is aware, KLM and Air France are now the same company. I have booked flights through KLM , gone out on an Air France plane and returned via KLM.

Just about to point that out it was a joint flight when I went to sa in summer airfrance plane with klm passengers too.

Hi Tusker
If you're planning to take your gun I'd make sure you've got at least a 3 hour stopover at Johannesburg Airport in order to get your hunting permit, unless you've paid extra for a 'meet and greet' service.
Even so, you don't want to be fretting about missing your domestic flight down to East London. I usually fly BA to East London and Port Elizabeth (not the cheapest by any margin) but they do operate convenient flight times for me.
DavidH is quite correct, SA will try and charge you extra for carrying your firearm, contradicting their own terms and conditions.
Enjoy your trip.

Yes KLM and Air France are now one company - but from previous personnal experience I would never fly Air France again.

We sent our daughter, who was then aged about 11, as an unaccompanied minor along with another girl the same age with Air France to a summer camp near Montpellier. On the way back Air France delayed the flight, making them miss the connection. When they didn't appear when due my wife duly phoned the "helpline" and was given a lecture on the perils of sending children unaccompanied on flights - then they put the phone down!

Scum of the earth.

Back