Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first PH

My first PH

Hi all,
    Having had a spare slot for a .243 on my cert for a few years, and with the "use it or lose it" thought in mind, I started looking around for something suitable and not too much money. Having taken inspiration and encouragement from some of you regular posters I decided on a Parker Hale. I soon found a 1200 super clip and arranged a viewing. The rifle looked in reasonable condition despite having never been cleaned, (the seller did not know how to operate the bolt release) and the varnished stock looking like an old school desk, I paid me money.
    First thing was a good scrub with Patch-out and a check with a bore scope which revealed good clean rifleing throughout. A few rounds of whatever .243 I had to hand, showed everything was in order with groupings of just over an inch.
    Back in the work shop and a complete strip down prior to inspection and cleaning. The stock had more than a few coatings of nitromors and was finished off with a good scrubbing with a strong solution of sugar soap. All this was revealing a rifle that had very little use. The peaks on the checkering were still crisp and there was very little ware to either the bolt knob or trigger blade. A week spent sanding / oiling and lifting a few dents mainly on the fore-end and the stock was done. Bolt stripped and cleaned, trigger unit flushed out and adjusted to a crisp 3lb, and the rile was reassembled. Hope you like the results! I rekon on now having a good lowland / woodland stalking rifle, thats light, shoulders well and is a joy to handle. I have a spare swarvo nova 6x42 which I,ll sit on top. Oh! and the puchase price, with a Hawke scope (binned) and Ph rings and bases 180.00!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_007.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	2.1 KB 
ID:	21019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_010.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	21020Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_015.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	21021Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_018.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	4.5 KB 
ID:	21022
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	th_022.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	21023
    Last edited by Windy; 03-11-2012 at 10:23.

Looks very nice, and for less than 200 you certainly had a result
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

very nice indeed. interesting contrast between the wood on the LHS and the RHS, I have the same on a BRNO, all light on one side, and dark walnut with veining on the other.

I think that difference in colouration is due to one side being heart wood? I have something similar on a T3 stock and that was Don Robinson's explanation anyway. Cheers, K

Your rifle is probably unsafe to fire and to be honest , butt ugly. You should send it to me (you pay shipping) so I can safely dispose of it for you in some remote and un-inhabited place.........Sorry , I'm just kidding. I have a thing for Parker-Hale rifles and yours is really nice.

I,m surprised at the price, thats less than what you could expect to pay here for the same rifle,good deal! Let us know how it does in the field.

Enviously Alberta Boy

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Your pictures are tiny.
    Go in to edit your post, double click on the pictures and a box will come up where you can tell it to resize them.
    Hope that helps

Alberta Boy, Damn you did not leave me a forwarding adress!!

Looks very nice, I'm thinking along the same lines but in .308.

Hey Windy, out of curiousity,is that about average price-wise for a Parker-Hale? They're still very popular here and dont last long at almost twice the price you paid.

Alberta Boy

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    Hey Windy, out of curiousity,is that about average price-wise for a Parker-Hale? They're still very popular here and dont last long at almost twice the price you paid.

Alberta Boy
    I think I got this one at the lower end of the price scale keeping in mind it came with rings and bases. Although I have heard on this forum of them being picked up for less than 100.oo.
    What models do you have Alberta Boy?