Uses of Marlin 1894 Cowboy model (.357) Lever action rifle

makkamwah

Hi all,

Apart from my legal deer rifles, I also have a Marlin 1894 .357 rifle for target shooting (indoor), it is a good little rifle for my purpose.

I am wondering what other members of the forum would use this rifle for, especially our American cousins across the pond?

Do you use this rifle for hunting?

Look forward to the responses from everyone.

Regards,
Kam

I know a few folk in the UK with such rifles on FAC with permission to use them for fox & vermin

The 357 is a very common deer round in the USA

I have one conditioned for fox and vermin. Around a small paddock it's ideal.

I only have one box of .357Mag expanding though. It's not easy to find.

I have one conditioned for fox and vermin. Around a small paddock it's ideal.

I only have one box of .357Mag expanding though. It's not easy to find.

Hornady XTP are readily available for reloaders...as are other similar hollow point bullets, semi-jacketed, etc.

Cheers Saddler. I will look into those when I finish this lot.

Obviously I run on .38sp for everything else.

Federal used to offer a 125-gr JHP round - it was known as a one-shot stopper & gained the 357 a good reputation

You could also look into casting your own - if so - choose one of the Ideal/Lyman Keith bullets as he was the chap that designed the 357 round from 38/44 revolvers.
His book "Sixguns" is a possible suggestion to make for upcoming seasonal gifts as it is crammed with facts & figures & load data & LOTS of history of the other cartridge he designed (.44 Magnum)

I can look up the code numbers of the molds if that's any use?

There is also a version of the mold with adaptors to allow you to cast hollow point versions of the bullet

Back when I was eaten up with Marlinitis I had a pair of Marlin levers chambered for the 357 MAG cartridge . One was the model 1894CP which had a little 16 1/4" barrel and looked very similar to the Guide Gun style of rifles . Anyway that one was very intresting with the then produced Nosler 180 grain partition . My other was a Marlin 1894CB similar to what you have although mine was one of the earlier ones with a 24" barrel . That one was very pleased with my homecast bullets from 158 grains up to 215 grains . I had a no longer made Lyman mold for a 215 grain SWC gas check bullet that shot very nicely with a tang sight in that 1894CB . Never did try either of these rifles on deer as I wasn't totally satisfied with the reults I got from a Marlin 1894FG in 41 REM MAG .

I had a marlin 1894c for a while. Great little rifle,it shot well, but the only animals I used it on were coyotes in the yard(under 100 yrds) and a couple of porcupines that were eating the wifes apple trees. It worked really well , I was using factory 125 gr HP's and to be honest it was a bit messy.
I never did get around to handloading for it, I did'nt own it that long. It got traded off for a savage 99 in 250 savage that was quite a bit more versatile( which I traded for something else........I'm a gun whore) I never really warmed up to it that much, mostly because it seemed too big for the small stuff and too small for the bigger stuff. Maybe others will disagree, but its just one mans opinion

Alberta Boy

I have found that 125 grain bullets are OK for vermin and people but for deer I prefer the 158 grain JHP or hard cast. I havfe rifles in .357 but have done my hunting with handgun: my first handgun deer was with a Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8" barrel using a Lyman 358-156 bullet. I will be hunting deer this weekend with a Model 27 S&W 8 3/8" if I can get some ammo loaded this evening. I'll be using Hornady 158 grain HP's loaded over a stiff charge of Lil Gun: a powder that provides high velocities with low pressures. The original "1935 S&W Magnum .357" was a very similar gun to what I am using this weekend in frame size and barrel length. I expect good things.

I have found that hollow points in cast bullets are moot. They really have no function on big game. Keith's #358-429 semi wadcutter bullet is a good killer at 173 grains but the #358-156 (158 -160 grains) is a far more versatile and accurate bullet. I have sworn by it for over 30 years.~Muir

Out of interest (speaking for the UK), what sort of muzzle energy would one be able to get out of a .357 underlever?... it would take a very stiff load to meet the minimum 1000 ft lbs we have here for small deer species I'd have thought, if it's even possible?

The link says it gets there with an 18 inch barrel, just about.

Neil. :)

Federal used to offer a 125-gr JHP round - it was known as a one-shot stopper & gained the 357 a good reputation

You could also look into casting your own - if so - choose one of the Ideal/Lyman Keith bullets as he was the chap that designed the 357 round from 38/44 revolvers.
His book "Sixguns" is a possible suggestion to make for upcoming seasonal gifts as it is crammed with facts & figures & load data & LOTS of history of the other cartridge he designed (.44 Magnum)

I can look up the code numbers of the molds if that's any use?

There is also a version of the mold with adaptors to allow you to cast hollow point versions of the bullet

Its amazing what you find out on here isn't it?

Im not well blessed with expanding pistol round stockists near me. :(

That would be great Saddler, I have a couple hundred cases but no heads yet and had been toying with the idea of casting one calibre or another at least once! Feels right to go down to that level.

Cracking little guns these Marlins when broken in. I find the .38 absolutely effortless and my 13 year old daughter has taken to it.

It took a couple of sessions and a bit of help to migrate my reloading skills from a handful of Deer rounds to mass producing, 3 stage, pistol ammo but I have a sense of achievement every box of 50.

Thanks saddler.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks everyone for the response up to now.

I have not thought about using the Marlin rifle for vermin control, so just pinking in the indoor club range and have not asked the FLO to change the condition on my FAC........ very tempting after reading others in this thread.

I would like to know what scope set up are others using in UK or do you use a moderator?

I know to the traditionalists, it takes the authentic look out of the classic wild west / frontier rifle.

At the moment, not using any scope just using the good old iron sights in 25 metre range and also thinking about outdoor shooting in vermin control - the noise level hence asking about moderator (if possible to fit one on).

Any advices will be great.

Kam

Hi all,

Thanks everyone for the response up to now.

I have not thought about using the Marlin rifle for vermin control, so just pinking in the indoor club range and have not asked the FLO to change the condition on my FAC........ very tempting after reading others in this thread.

I would like to know what scope set up are others using in UK or do you use a moderator?

I know to the traditionalists, it takes the authentic look out of the classic wild west / frontier rifle.

At the moment, not using any scope just using the good old iron sights in 25 metre range and also thinking about outdoor shooting in vermin control - the noise level hence asking about moderator (if possible to fit one on).

Any advices will be great.

Kam

XS Scout Scope mount on my Winchester

....then you can add a long eye relief scope or a red dot Aimpoint or similar

They also make a receiver mount with built in aperture sight for Marlins

Saw a nice Win 94 in 45 Colt at Bisley a few years back with a mod. on - looked good

The trouble with mounting a scope is the drop on the stock. You need to go with a Stockade or similar to get the cheek weld.

That said I have a Weaver rail on mine and a 3-9x50 on QR mounts for Gallery Rifle and a 4-12x50 IR for long range carbine again on QR Mounts and this also does for fox patrol. I'm likely to play with this set up as I think I need more Magnification for T&P1.

Im very lucky to train with about 30% of the national squad at my club.

I agree for receiver mounted scopes - over barrel ones are a lot lower & don't require a change to cheek weld to get a sight picture

Shame you are'nt closer Saddler I'm betting you would be an interesting bloke to have a beer with!

Back