How Much To Pay! Land With Muntjac On

Buckbones

Ive been offered 120 acres with the possibility of muntjac on the land. Now I'm going to do time on the ground to fine out if there is. If there is I have no problem paying for it but what would be a reasonable price to pay.
Now I know there are guys on here who will say nothing I don't pay for mine. Well that's fine! But I have a good relationship with the owner and have no wish to offend him because he know it may be worth some cash.
So what is a fair price?

Thank you Andrew

First off you would need to work out roughly how many muntjac there are on this 120 acres and how many it could reasonably sustain. What would be your likely annual cull numbers? It might not actually hold that many throughout the year if it is arable farming and small hedgerows. Thick woodland might be different.

Then what is the mentality of the landowner towards the muntjac? Are they doing damage? Do they cost him money?

How much is the stalking worth to you? How often could you stalk the area? Will you be making money out of it?

With all these aspects to consider I would be surprised if anyone could put a price on your stalking with the details you have.

All sounds a bit vague mate if there is just a possibility? 120 acres is pretty small so you should be able to tell if there is very quickly from the ground sign. Look along fence lines, gaps in hedges, gateways for slots (about the size of a 20p piece). Why not offer him so much for each animal you shoot, then if you don't shoot many (any) it won't cost too much? Game dealers pay about £1.50/kg for munties so an average would be about £15. Why not offer him that per animal and see how you get on? You may not have many at present, but before long he will realise that you are doing him a big favour!
You could also butcher it and go halves on the meat which is probably the better option as it is great to eat!
If you think you may have a muntjac or two and you're not sure what to look for, then you've probably got a lot more!;)
Good luck!
MS

First off you would need to work out roughly how many muntjac there are on this 120 acres and how many it could reasonably sustain. What would be your likely annual cull numbers? It might not actually hold that many throughout the year if it is arable farming and small hedgerows. Thick woodland might be different.

Then what is the mentality of the landowner towards the muntjac? Are they doing damage? Do they cost him money?

How much is the stalking worth to you? How often could you stalk the area? Will you be making money out of it?

With all these aspects to consider I would be surprised if anyone could put a price on your stalking with the details you have.

You got thermal image gear then ! A mate used it on one ride saw several BUT saw three times that amount in the brambles just browsing away in the maize of runs .
Very difficult to accurately assess the number of this little deer . A keeper mate can do a woodland ride on shoot day and see a few munty when fed that same evening he would think nothing of seeing a dozen .
if you have a few on the ground give him a drink £200 assuming it is for your own use not taking clients ,farmers aren't mugs they would suss you taking folk for cash .
good luck
norma

Yes there are lots of things to consider. As I will take people if there is a reasonable number.
Also he is no fool but I we are friends and have no wish to fall out. But I guess I'm going to have to do time on the ground first. Would night vison work for looking in and around hedgerows. As a friend of mine has some
andrew

You got thermal image gear then ! A mate used it on one ride saw several BUT saw three times that amount in the brambles just browsing away in the maize of runs .
Very difficult to accurately assess the number of this little deer . A keeper mate can do a woodland ride on shoot day and see a few munty when fed that same evening he would think nothing of seeing a dozen .
if you have a few on the ground give him a drink £200 assuming it is for your own use not taking clients ,farmers aren't mugs they would suss you taking folk for cash .
good luck
norma

A DMG I work with has used several different types of thermal imaging and night vision as part of its census work yes! But as you say, even with this equipment it is not an exact science with muntjac. I agree with what MS has put, you are better off spending time on the ground studying the signs (or learning to).

When I talked about farmland I had a relatives farm in mind. It is about 250 acres and in an area that is know for high numbers of munties. They certainly do cut about on the farm but the amount of stalking you could do is minimal. This is partly due to the topography of the ground and partly due to the fact that they take shortcuts through the fields passing through and don't actually spend much time on the farm itself.

Trying to count muntjac accurately is virtually impossible and pointless. We use indirect methods here where we have loads and this is part of an impact assesment process. Woods are scored into low, medium or high impact brackets and culling hours spent according to damage. Muntjac are a 'shoot on sight' cull plan on ALL my areas. Night vision and thermal imaging may help a little, but will not give you an accurate count. Have a look at what damage they are doing and concentrate your efforts there. Also talk to the owner as he may have a different opinion and it shows that you are thinking towards his benefit and not just your own sport!;)
MS

If its a good friend why not agree a 50/50 split with money gained from clients/carcasses giving on a regular basis or at the end o the year.

I've got two "permissions" (sorry), with the same agreement on each with the land owners. All monies generated from carcass sales go the the estate, with me keeping the odd deer for my own use and I also offer first refusal to the land owner on venison. It means I get nothing (materially) for the stalking, but I'm sure it's cheaper than renting the stalking. The only down-side is that in both cases I'm not permitted to take anyone else out on the land.

I have the offer of a Muntjac Permission where they are damaging ground, digging holes, on land used to exercise horses, and it'll cost nothing (except 3 hours each way in the car to get there), and I'd keep every other carcass, with the landowner keeping the rest, reading this it sounds like I have a good deal, just need the FAC, rifle, insurance, and DSC1 first. No idea of the acreage yet, but apparently he's overrun with Muntjac, and there is some Fallow, but I won't have permission to take those initially.

I find this directory an excellent source of information.

You guys kinda play by different rules then we do here in "The New World" .

And I have no earthly idea what a lease would cost per acre in your country . But here in the USA we paid $20 an acre for some real good Sika Marsh back in 1999 and about $14 an acre for two lesser pieces the same year . I have no idea what it costs to lease up there now as I only hunt federally managed acerage now for Sika .

Down here in Virginia I heard just the other day that a couple pieces of semi prime whitetail acerage was on the market at $10 an acre .

All of my whitetail hunting is on property we own at the moment although I do have a couple fellows asking me to come and shoot some doe for them when the gun season opens in a 5 days .

To be honest the only place I've ever paid for a lease as such was when we had the camp in Maryland for Sika and I would gladly get in another if I knew some people I trusted to hunt around . But all my chums that were in on the lease in the past or either dead or moved away .

You know after reading what some of you fellows have to go thru just to deer hunt , it makes me realize how good we have it here in the US !

We have an abundance of public lands anyone can hunt on and to be honest I've killed a couple decent animals om public land .

Also typically if we have a lease here we don't need to worry about giving the landowner any of the animals or any proceeds of course it's 100% Illegal to sell native game animals dead or alive . True in exas and a few other places there are game farms that do sell whitetail or exotic animals but thats a different thing . Those animals are kept in confinement and are raised basically as one would a cow or hog .

6pt you wish you had it as good as us i certainly couldn't afford the equivalent to $20 an acre lol. Alos i think my tagg quota would be well out at the end of a season. Sorry is there an end.
Buck Bones go to the landowner tell him what your going to do regards clients etc and split the money. If its England and paying per acre then £5 and you want to keep the spoils take the risk that's business if it fails what you lost nowt.

i personaly think everyone would have a different price on it , it all depends what it means to you ,how far it is , etc .i have given alot of permisions up because it wasnt worth the time going to them when i have alot better elswhere, i let other people have them, because they have no where to go , and too them it was priceless ! so its entirly down to you as to what its worth ,just my twopeneth ! regards arron.

I'd just ask him what he expected for the rent that way you wont offend him and if its to much just say no thanks !

Back