Can Anybody give more info????

andibrains

Just recieved this regarding one of my FC leases:

I need to make you aware of survey work which will be carried out by
the
forestry commission between now and Tuesday next week.

The surveys
are in connection to the Chalara dieback of ash. Forestry
Commission staff
have to survey at least 4 ash woods in every 10km
square across Scotland and
as a consequence there is a high likelihood
that there could be surveying
activity going on in your permission
area(s).

Anybody shed some light on exactly what Chalara dieback as and why they need to do this work??

Chalara fraxinea (spelling?) is the disease which is wiping out the ash trees in the south east and spreading further.

It sounds like the FC want to come and check for the disease on your patch.

South east uk? This is taking place in SW Scotland in D&G. Forgive me but how do diseases like this spread???

Yes, as said by dogflyer, the disease is spread through spores borne on the wind. You might be in Scotland but there is a potential for a widespread and damaging disease to wipeout a species of tree. The FC are being proactive in checking the current situation across the country to see how far it has spread.

Think of Dutch Elm disease. That had to originate in one place and yet it spread throughout the land over time.

Last edited:
South east uk? This is taking place in SW Scotland in D&G. Forgive me but how do diseases like this spread???

They FC are attempting to check every 10km square across the whole country by tuesday for signs of chalara. Long shot seeing as round here all the leave s are already gone. It'll be a full on survey come may/june when the leaves come

I think there's also markings on the bark which is another indicator of the disease.

Forestry Commission - Pests and diseases - Ash dieback (Chalara fraxinea)

there's some pretty good info on fos coms website.

Movement of timber is usually the most prolific mode of spreading these diseases, this one seems to have been spread with live tree (saplings) movement.
I'm surprised that they're telling you about it to be honest, I survey pine trees twice a year for a different disease and they never give me a timetable!
I'd have thought that spreading phytophthora ramorum would be more of a priority since it has been found in Dumfries and Borders FD recently. They were surveying with helicopters for that! Chalara fraxinea must be savage!

Back