Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hungarian Wire Haired Vizsla Training

Hungarian Wire Haired Vizsla Training

Looking for a little bit of help here guy's,
    I will be in the market for a HWV next year, around about Autumn time possibly, due to us moving to a new house (with kennel & ground) around about that time.
    I am looking for some info on how to train a HWV, never having owned a gun/deer dog before is there any reference material out there to help me along the way?
    He will be a dog for Deer only as since getting the stalking bug i very rarely shoot anything else these days, he'll also spend alot of days on the river bank too so plenty of excercise. I have read a good bit about them and feel that it would be the perfect companion for me, my heart is set on one these beautiful dogs, the missus has been ground down 'eventually' and said yes but only once we move house.
    Would appreciate any info on training also any owners who may be looking at litters next year..

Thanks in advance

Rgds Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Bryan

Niels Sondergaard - Working with dogs for deer is quite good. John laughed at the 'take your puppy to bed' bit.... whose laughing now!

You're welcome to borrow my copy - let me know if over this way or if you want it posting.

Andy
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Bryan Niels Sondergaard - Working with dogs for deer is quite good. John laughed at the 'take your puppy to bed' bit.... whose laughing now! You're welcome to borrow my copy - let me know if over this way or if you want it posting. Andy
    +1 Good book. Alfie is a GWP not a Viszla, got him from Chris at Trudvang, took him to bed and ended up on the floor.... sorted that out now he doesn't take the duvet any more! Joking aside, one man dog, great companion :-)
    Viszla are the same I believe, may even be less volatile, give them time, no rush and you will not regret it.
    If you feel any of my limited advice would be worthwhile, very happy to give it.

Good luck and best regards.

Jon.

For guided Roe deer stalking,. BASC accredited trainer for DSC1 and 2. BASC accredited training centre with courses held regularly.
    www.greenleedeer.co.uk

Jon any info greatly appreciated, Andy if you could post it down with the possum that would be great pal.

Rgds Bryan

Alba gu brąth

I would always train any dog to be well behaved first and foremost. Recall, sit, stay, stop (on the whistle) and some steadiness. I'm a firm believer that even pets should be trained to this standard and once you've done this, the dogs breeding will take over and keep the work training fairly easy. The rest will be instinct through breeding, provided you get the right dog!

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    I would always train any dog to be well behaved first and foremost. Recall, sit, stay, stop (on the whistle) and some steadiness. I'm a firm believer that even pets should be trained to this standard and once you've done this, the dogs breeding will take over and keep the work training fairly easy. The rest will be instinct through breeding, provided you get the right dog!

Good post!

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Good post!
    agreed. obedience obedience obedience. You need a dog to respond correctly to low stimulus from the off before you increase drive and distractions.

Hi Brian

Being an owner of a HWV, I asked the same questions you have.
    Mr Wolverine gave me the best advice going and that was to firstly bond with the dog and stick to the basics.
    Shabz and Steyer's replies are also spot on.
    As to reading material you will not go wrong with Guy Wallace's book.
    Please do not be frightened to ask, I did and it worked for me.
    Mines is a Zolmali dog and I would be lost without him as both a working dog and as a companion.
    I also used Bryantscroft Training DVD's which you are welcome to have a loan of when the time comes.
    Enjoy the breed they are great and very affectionate.

Regards

DavieH

B

Gear in the post now.

Andy
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Hi DavieH,

Sounds like you have a great companion there and thanks for the sound advice. A solid bond with the dog kinda makes sense really stick to basics and the rest will follow, sometimes I think we forget the most important things.
    Will definitely keep that offer in mind when nearer the time Davie. I know HWV will be the right choice for me.

Andy much appreciated, quality service my friend arrived next day as per usual...

Appreciated guys!!

Rgds Bryan

Alba gu brąth