Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persistance pays off!

Persistance pays off!

I only have one small patch of land where i have permission only shoot foxes. Its about 180 acres but its all open fields with a railway through the middle. There are limited places to shoot due to the topography. for the first 12 months i had the permission i thin i had about 17 foxes, but for the last 12 months i have only maybe seen 2 or 3, and never managed to get on to one....until tonight.

I generally head up there once or twice a month and have blanked every time for the last twelve months, my mrs keeps asking me why I bother. I just like to get out, so it doesn't bother me not shooting anything.

Anyway, i set up in one position, rifle pointing paralell to the rail line pointing into a bit of a bank. Stood there for 10 minutes and could hear rustling in the bushes, squeeked a little and out popped a vixen, 27 yards, and 1 second away she was dropped on the spot!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0315.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	612.7 KB 
ID:	21041

12 months for one fox...well, i enjoyed the time out and the farmer is one fox happier!

atb

Jim

Well done JIm. Thats a lovely looking fox too!

Fox control isnt about riding about whacking foxes off a wing mirror it is about getting out where you are wanted/needed and getting on top of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    Well done JIm. Thats a lovely looking fox too!

Fox control isnt about riding about whacking foxes off a wing mirror it is about getting out where you are wanted/needed and getting on top of the job.
    Indeed, she was in fantastic condition, lovely clean teeth, good coat etc. Clearly feeding well.

The guy i shoot for has suffered badly in the past with foxes kiling his piglets and so the only good fox is a dead one in his eyes.

A fox on the deck = a happy farmer!

Nice one Jim, good result!

Always good to get a fox and I'm guessing that after 12 months-this vixen was particularly worthwhile. I wonder if its more than coincidence that she appeared to be in really good condition in an area where fox numbers seem low? Something all the fox protection charities will no doubt not want to acknowledge!

Always a good option if you can get the Vixen at this time of year.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Nice fox Jim. I don't suppose you save the brush's do you ?

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    Nice fox Jim. I don't suppose you save the brush's do you ?
    No I don't, never had a need for them to be honest. Someone local to me has asked me to keep them before, but I don't really want them in the car, and I can't be botherd to preserve them.

atb

Tramp, I save and preserve a few brushes. Is there a reason you ask?