Persistance pays off!

Daft Dog

I only have one small patch of land where i have permission only shoot foxes. Its about 180 acres but its all open fields with a railway through the middle. There are limited places to shoot due to the topography. for the first 12 months i had the permission i thin i had about 17 foxes, but for the last 12 months i have only maybe seen 2 or 3, and never managed to get on to one....until tonight.

I generally head up there once or twice a month and have blanked every time for the last twelve months, my mrs keeps asking me why I bother. I just like to get out, so it doesn't bother me not shooting anything.

Anyway, i set up in one position, rifle pointing paralell to the rail line pointing into a bit of a bank. Stood there for 10 minutes and could hear rustling in the bushes, squeeked a little and out popped a vixen, 27 yards, and 1 second away she was dropped on the spot!

IMAG0315.jpg

12 months for one fox...well, i enjoyed the time out and the farmer is one fox happier!

atb

Jim

Well done JIm. Thats a lovely looking fox too!

Fox control isnt about riding about whacking foxes off a wing mirror it is about getting out where you are wanted/needed and getting on top of the job.

Well done JIm. Thats a lovely looking fox too!

Fox control isnt about riding about whacking foxes off a wing mirror it is about getting out where you are wanted/needed and getting on top of the job.

Indeed, she was in fantastic condition, lovely clean teeth, good coat etc. Clearly feeding well.

The guy i shoot for has suffered badly in the past with foxes kiling his piglets and so the only good fox is a dead one in his eyes.

A fox on the deck = a happy farmer! :thumb:

Always good to get a fox and I'm guessing that after 12 months-this vixen was particularly worthwhile. I wonder if its more than coincidence that she appeared to be in really good condition in an area where fox numbers seem low? Something all the fox protection charities will no doubt not want to acknowledge!

Nice fox Jim. I don't suppose you save the brush's do you ?

No I don't, never had a need for them to be honest. Someone local to me has asked me to keep them before, but I don't really want them in the car, and I can't be botherd to preserve them.

atb

nice one I know how you feel with persistence, the shoot we put a few birds down on I usually shoot about a dozen a year but every single one tends to be hard work. They seem to all be lamp shy and clued up not helped by the last keeper who used to go out without a rifle to see how many foxes were about including calling them. This year he is gone and I've hit 15 in 6 months but more moved in, compared to a mate who every time we go out we get at least 2 they all call, none seem lamp shy its almost perfect fox shooting but getting one at mine always seems more of an achievement

All of mine have to be shot in daylight hours (farmers request) so it certainly does limit oppertunities. I also think that the neighbouring farms must be calling them and not shooting them as some of the foxes i have seen do not even flinch to the sound of a call (like your previous keeper).

But yes, it makes it more of an achievement when you do get one (although i must admit this one was easy...apart from the time it took to actually find her).

Back