Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: no mates

no mates

Well I have mates,well I did till they got married.
    Seriously guys,I have been in 4 counties in 2 weeks,stalking and generally mouching about,all on my jack,does anyone else get fed up being on their own.
    I am ok when stalking its the gaps in between,no banter,pub etc,

While I am on whats the thinking as regards 243 for red stags,as I have access to a few woodland reds,that may need looking at,Tod.

Can see why you'd be frustrated / lonely, men need male companionship!

I'd say .243 is very much borderline for lowland forest Red's, much better to have >7mm.

tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

men need male companionship!

Hello Sailor it's a cracker no wonder why you are Telling Captain !!!!!!

Jimbo
    Last edited by Jimbo 30 06; 03-11-2012 at 20:17.

I can see what you mean. I enjoy the banter before and after stalking and it makes for a great day out. In my opinion a laugh with the lads just improves the day. I am no expert on red stags only ever shot one but it was with a .243 at 180m it ran 30m and dropped dead so the only evidence i can offer there.
    Regards N

Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    Well I have mates,well I did till they got married.
    Seriously guys,I have been in 4 counties in 2 weeks,stalking and generally mouching about,all on my jack,does anyone else get fed up being on their own.
    I am ok when stalking its the gaps in between,no banter,pub etc,

While I am on whats the thinking as regards 243 for red stags,as I have access to a few woodland reds,that may need looking at,Tod.
    I would get a 308 and some new mates to help drag them out

There are a lot of reds shot with .243 very successfully,
    but a .308 may be better.

In my experience be very careful who you ask to accompany you stalking !!!!!!

Cant go far wrong with a 308
    Last edited by norma 308; 03-11-2012 at 20:58.

IMO, a .308 if it's an option, never hurts to pack a bit more punch.

Know what you mean. I get a bit despondent some times and so don't bother going out with the lamp. On the permission I have I can't take mates who are not know to the land owner so only occasionally go out with a mate who also has permission on same ground. Since it's dark there is not the same enjoyment as in the day with other wildlife, tracks etc to see. I guess if I had my own stalking and could get out in daylight it would be different but I too enjoy the discussions had with stalkers when I pay for their services. In my opinion the company is a large part of the enjoyment of the hunt. As we are lucky enough not to HAVE to kill in order to eat that night there is far more to a successful hunt than merely to kill. I'm sure you'll have a long list of 'mates' in your in box soon. BTW I have just had a variation through for a .308 which in my opinion would be a far more suitable caliber for lowland reds or highland ones for that matter.

just wait till you get married yourself mate, you'll appreciate time on your own like never before! enjoy it while you have it!

TBH, there's nothing I enjoy more than just me myself and I, my rifle, my dog and nature. It's fun sometimes being out with a mate, but don't forget to appreciate just you and nature together.