Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot dog!

Hot dog!

We have just had a chimney built and installed a log burner to which my Weimaraner is delighted about. She is nearly 5 years old and has never seemed to shy away from the cold. She sits out on the marsh when wildfowling and doesn't hesitate to dive into the icy water to retrieve, but now she can't get close enough to the fire. Does anyone else's dog do the same & could it cause her any harm, other than setting herself on fire

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...342FCB65AB.jpg

ha ha my gsp would start to synge i had to keep dragging him away ,my bmh indy went to the furthest corner away from the fire for the first week now shes doing the same as the gsp . in fact we didnt have a fire last night and indy kept going up to it and staring at the fireplace and wandering off in a huff, funny things thes dogs, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

i have the opposite... the huskys generally become different dogs when the temp gets to the minus numbers. dare'nt let them inside for fear of over heating them!!! the springer is inside but he's that bonkers he would know if its cold or hot so long as he can go 100 miles per hour.
    Big bloke... but outta shape

Yes Wingy our two Borders and the indoor Springer will lie on top of the log burner untill they almost melt. Be sure to keep your chimney well swept at Least twice a year we had chimney fire last year and the flue off the burner got to 630 degree's quite alarming glowing white while awaiting the arrival of the Fire Brigade. Get a soot door fitted if you do not already have one built in.

Jimbo

Wingy, just got in from the marsh, read your post and looked over my shoulder,

I suppose she will want feeding soon!

My 2 working cockers and2 cats fight for space at the front of the hearth. Whats a soot door? Bazil

I read the original post wrongly, I thought it said 'dog burner!' Probably pretty close actually!

Our dog does exactly the same as yours, it's his favourite place in the house.

Whats a soot door

Bazil a soot door is a door constructed into the chimney externally so that the chimney can be swept without taking the flue off the wood burner and the closureplate down. Just type soot door into google you will then see what i mean.

Kind regards jimbo

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    We have just had a chimney built and installed a log burner to which my Weimaraner is delighted about. She is nearly 5 years old and has never seemed to shy away from the cold. She sits out on the marsh when wildfowling and doesn't hesitate to dive into the icy water to retrieve, but now she can't get close enough to the fire. Does anyone else's dog do the same & could it cause her any harm, other than setting herself on fire

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/...342FCB65AB.jpg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2c.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	333.2 KB 
ID:	21076
    Once checked for mice and fitted, he's a permenant fixture at the hearth, only the smell of burning fur moves him a few feet

I presume when you had the fire installed it was by a HETAS qualified installer or your builder did it and it was signed of by building control. Wood burners are subject to part J of building regs. A soot door can make cleaning easier but you should still be able to clean the flue through the fire by removing the top baffle. If you now install a soot door I suggest you get your installer to do it. If you haven't got it signed off your house insurance will be invalid if you have a fire!