Data for Hodgdon Superformance

Dovebob

All,

I got some Hodgdon Superformance powder at the weekend with the intention of using it with 55 grain sierra soft points in a 22 - 250.

There is a limited amount of data on the tub and on the internet. However, the lightest bullets the data covers are 60 grains for the 22 - 250.

I wonder if anyone has a copy of the latest Hornaday manual (I think its Vol. 9) or the latest Hodgdon manual (I think its Vol. 12.) If either of these have the data I need I'll order a copy. However, I don't want to get one and then find it doesn't have what I need.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Bob

From Hornady's blurb, 8th Edition.
The 8th Edition Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading is the most comprehensive Hornady Handbook to date. Containing nearly 1100 pages, the handbook features the latest information for all the newest Hornady bullets including: FTX, GMX, DGS, DGX and favorites like V-MAX, InterBond, SST, InterLock and XTP.
The handbook also incorporates data for recently released propellant like Hodgdon's groundbreaking Superformance
and LEVERevolution powders, as well as RL 17, 4007SSC, 8208XBR, Hybrid 100V and more.

New cartridge additions include the 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, 30 TC, 300 RCM, 338 RCM, 308 Marlin Express, 338 Marlin Express, 375 Ruger, 416 Ruger, 450 Nitro Express, 470 Nitro Express, 500 Nitro Express and many more.
Hornady also offers interactive resources on their website, providing external ballistics and H.I.T.S. calculators. Click here to access in-depth, easy-to-understand explanations of internal, external and terminal ballistics.
Written and formatted for all skill levels, the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading is the definitive resource for every reloader.

All,

The tub of superformance powder I have refers to the suitability of the powder for 22 - 250, 243 Win and 300 WSM. I've had a look through the 8th Hornaday manual to see what loads are in it for these cartridges. There are three loads for 22 -250 (60 gr, 68 gr and 75 gr), none for 243 and none for 300 WSM.

I believe Hornaday has produced a 9th version of its manual which might have some loads for 55 grain bullets in the 22 - 250. Alternatively, the latest Hodgdon manual might have some. I'd be grateful if anyone who has a copy of either book could let me know if there are any loads for 55 gr bullets in a 22 - 250. If there are I will get a copy.

Thanks,

Bob

P.S. I'm beginning to wish I'd bought a tub of Varget or H380 instead !!!

Modern Reloading, R Lee, 2nd edition.
Nothing for 55 grain in 22-250, for .243 1 listing for 75 grain (top of list).

Neil. :)

All,

I got some Hodgdon Superformance powder at the weekend with the intention of using it with 55 grain sierra soft points in a 22 - 250.

There is a limited amount of data on the tub and on the internet. However, the lightest bullets the data covers are 60 grains for the 22 - 250.

I wonder if anyone has a copy of the latest Hornaday manual (I think its Vol. 9) or the latest Hodgdon manual (I think its Vol. 12.) If either of these have the data I need I'll order a copy. However, I don't want to get one and then find it doesn't have what I need.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Bob

Use the starting load for the 60 grain bullet with the 55 grain bullet.~Muir

Muir,

I had thought about that, but wasn't sure if that was the right way to go. I've compared the starting loads provided by Sierra for their 55 grain and 60 grain bullets with three different powders (Varget, N140 and H380). The start load for the 60 grain bullet is about 2 grains lower than for 55 for all powders.

If I start at the minimum for 60 grainers and work up in 0.3 grain increments is that ok?

Thanks for your help with this. I fear I have fallen for the marketing of this powder and probably should've bought Varget, H380 or similar, for which there is loads of data.

Cheers,

Bob

Sure. Start with the 60 grain loads and proceed as you normally would. With very few exceptions, you can always look to the starting load for the next heavier bullet.~Muir

Back