Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deposit for stalks and one not happy to pay

Deposit for stalks and one not happy to pay

This is my first full year as a full-time stalker and guide and try to be as flexible
    as possible regarding deposits obviously depending on short notice bookings and
    regular clients i will now charge a deposit for bookings after being let down at the last
    minute by quite a few clients (some members of SD aswell) , this leaves me without work
    sometimes for a few days at a time
    I also have one sd member who advertises as a guide that i arranged a red stag outing for
    this year who was taken out by my colleague , there was a mix-up on the meeting place so
    they set off an hour late (my fault) no stags were seen on the outing resulting in a dissapointed
    client who was meant to put the outing fee through the office door but didnt
    Ive had to cover the 150 fee with the estate myself , i did offer a day on roe or a boar outing
    as a gesture but still no payment
    Any ideas or suggestions on the best way to deal with this
    Colin
    Last edited by Solwaystalker; 04-11-2012 at 16:15.
    Zeiss Pro Stalker and Agent for Starlght Night Vision

Quote Originally Posted by Solwaystalker View Post
    This is my first full year as a full-time stalker and guide and try to be as flexible
    as possible regarding deposits obviously depending on short notice bookings and
    regular clients i will now charge a deposit for bookings after being let down at the last
    minute by quite a few clients (some members of SD aswell) , this leaves me without work
    sometimes for a few days at a time
    I also have one sd member who advertises as a guide that i arranged a red stag outing for
    this year who was taken out by my colleague , there was a mix-up on the meeting place so
    they set off an hour late (my fault) no stags were seen on the outing resulting in a dissapointed
    client who was meant to put the outing fee through the office door but didnt
    Ive had to cover the 150 fee with the estate myself , i did offer a day on roe or a boar outing
    as a gesture but still no payment
    Any ideas or suggestions on the best way to deal with this
    Colin
    Solwaystalker

You could have meet your client bang on time or even early and still not seen Deer i thought everyone on here knew that. It is if you are a seasoned stalker and you are taken on ground with no evidence of Deer that you may grumble. You may wish to ask for 75% up front before taking the booking if you are plauged by time wasters. Once you have good clientel then you will know who to ask for deposit and who will turn up and pay.

Jimbo

Hi Jimbo
    The way we do red stalks is Am or Pm stalk , this was a Pm stalk so it cut it short , the guy had been out with me
    previous years and shot deer , most times , it was explained it wouldnt be me taking him
    I have a high number of good regular clients ive been guiding for over 20years part time

No deposit no stalk if someone is genuine they will pay ,I've never paid a deposit but then I don't use many guides the ones I do use trust me I suppose .as for no deer seen well that can happen anyone worth their salt knows if deer are or were there it don't take a genius to see slots ,**** and deer sign .
    Kind regards
    norma

Your learning the same way I did years ago when I first started on my own
    And after having a quite large hunting agency booked two weeks of prime time stalking and cancelling a day before arrival needless to say it left a sour taste ! Especially as we had other clients trying to book the same dates
    Now we take bookings on a first come first served basis and dates are still available until client sends deposit
    There is no other way to do business and if clients are genuine then they will have no problem with this
    If you go to a travel agent and book a holiday you don't get grieved when they ask for a deposit
    regards andy

I for one would be Interested to see what suggestions ane put forward here, so far `touch wood` i havent had a problem with guests / clients...But It has to happen sometime...Thank you

thats out of order, if youve had your stalk then you pay your cash. if your not happy then some kind of arrangement is made but seeing as youve held your hands up and said he had an hour less but youve offered compo in the form of a days stalking i cant see that you can do more than that. you live and learn mate and if its like that then i wouldnt take him out again. as for deposits, i agree people would only be too willing to pay a deposit in order to secure their days out with you, it saves any buggering about.

As i said norma ive taken the guy before and trusted he would pay , i was on holiday and left it
    in Ians very experienced hands , we are on a top notch estate so its not a case of no deer
    Cheers

I know what I do is a little different but I do ask for a 50 deposit, as I am a day out of work to start with if they back out.mplus there is the time in getting things ready before hand. Sharpening knives, making sure the targets are ok. Lots of little things that all add up in timed and fuel.
    I don't thing you are being unreasonable asking for a down payment.
    Andrew

ive been out with colin a good number of times and hes always got paid as every one knows that if nothing is seen thats just part and parcel of stalking i think its a good idea to charge a deposit that will stop people being out of pocket otherwise the whole iam not paying because i havnt seen anything will start to become common place everywhere