Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5/47

Question 6.5/47

Hi there what's your views on the 6.5/47 as a general stalking rifle to be used on roe and red ?

The 6.5x47 Lapua seems to be the darling of the 6.5mm bench rest crowd here in that states . As to a actual deer round I dunno .

Have a number of customers that seem to like the 6.5 Creedmoor as a hunting cartridge .

In the grnad scheme of things the 260 REM and the 6.5 Creedmoor are pretty much a wash as far as velocities concerned . The big thing th Creedmoor has going for it is the shorter fatter case hence in the same action you can seat a bullet further out in a Creedmoor then you can in a 260 REM case .

As to the hunting aspect the velocities with the 260 and or Creedmoor are typically a touch higher then what you can get in a 6.5x47 Lapua .

Now with that being said I would truely love to have a trio of bench guns all with the same length , contour and twist barrel. And truely with those variables outta the equation to see which one is THE MOST accurate .

I got on this thing once about comparing the 260 REM , 6.5x55 , 6.5x57 , 6.5x51 Arisaka and the 6.5 Creedmoor . And I suppose it's no great strecth to throw the 6.5x47 Lapua in there as well . But seems to me the bottom line is they're all deer usable cartridges inside 200-250 yards/meters . And with certain people and or rifles that distance can be stretched a good bit .

It is my feeling that if a hunter is comfortable shooting shall we say a 243 WIN at deer at 200 meters then the 6.5x47 Lapua should be as good and truely a good bit better .

A 120gr high BC bullet with excellent sectional density launched at 2950fps from a highly accurate and low recoiling rifle, what's not to like?

On a relative sidenote , there is also a 6.5x47 REM . This is the 222 REM MAG case necked up to 6.5mm . Back in the earlier bench rest shooting in the USA Remington barreled a good many 40X Bench Rifles to the 6x47 case which again was the 222 REM MAG case necked up to 6mm . And since that time some folks in this part the world have necked it up even further to 6.5mm and hence the 6.5x47 REM . The 222 REM MAG is about the same as a 223 case for those unfamiliar with the 222 REM MAG case .

This is mine , new rifle 6.5 x 47 lapua - long range fallow basher - Page 4

Sweet, low recoiling, accurate round. Bullet choice is key if you like them to drop on the spot. Its kind on the carcass but hits pretty hard. Ive really enjoyed mine, using it for fox, muntjac, roe and fallow. Taking shots with it i wouldnt have taken with other rifles/calibres. Really skips the wind.

What loads you using in it for the larger deer species ?

36g vit150 with 120g BT they dont get up when that hits them.Also a very good target round very accurate and no recoil,bucks the wind at extended distances,what more can you ask for in a rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    This is mine , new rifle 6.5 x 47 lapua - long range fallow basher - Page 4

Sweet, low recoiling, accurate round. Bullet choice is key if you like them to drop on the spot. Its kind on the carcass but hits pretty hard. Ive really enjoyed mine, using it for fox, muntjac, roe and fallow. Taking shots with it i wouldnt have taken with other rifles/calibres. Really skips the wind.
    A friend of mine who I've stalked with for 30yrs had a custom build last year and uses 129gn SST bullets. Drops reds on the spot and out to significant range too. He's recently bought some 123gn Hornady AMax to see what they do. Fine calibre/cartridge & I can't see any problems with it in the year he's been using the rifle.
    The rifle is 24" Shilen match barrel, 1 in 8 twist. GBR Receiver & bolt (Remington derivative), Arnold Jewel trigger, Special figured wood stock, Swarovski Z6 4a scope.
    Works a treat, certainly the rifle shoots perfectly well out to 300 yds. with great accuracy no problem at all.

Really accurate & gentle to shoot. ATB
    Last edited by deeangeo; 05-11-2012 at 18:21. Reason: Bullet description Error
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

38gn varget pushing 120 prohunter, 120 b tip or 123 amax, sub .5 moa 5 shot groups

all of them to same poi

I have a 6.5x47 lapua and have used it to shoot a few roe. Basically it does the job in hand fine, no fuss, no mess, minimal recoil and scarily accurate. Only downside is the price of cases (£1 each) and the lack of factory hunting ammo that basically prohibits its use on FC lease property. Otherwise it is perfect for roe in my opinion. I have also noted minimal point of impact change between different loads with my rifle but put that down to the very heavy barrel