Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kennel heater

kennel heater

i was wondering if any one on here uses any form of kennel heating for their dogs i got two smooth coat terriers in a large pen leading on to a shed
    in which is built a sleeping house which i plan to make smaller as it housed 2 german shepherds before so i want to make it terrier size and use some form of heating for the colder nights as they are very short coated any one know of decent type of heating without going off the scale burning electricity

cheers foxxer

i used an oil filled radiator that had a built in thermostat in the shed the dogs lived in also plenty of insulation helps.
    Give instruction to a wise man and he will be yet wiser

search for shed heater or green house heater. simple pipe that uses very little electricity.

Just line the GS sized sleeping quarters with 4" polystyrene then clad with 1/4 ply....they shouldn't need more than this but if you wanted you could put these under the floor.....

Nice cosy dogs heater
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Make it smaller and just insulate it, my cocker is outside in his box with 50mm king span lining and ply on top, last winter he was fine even in sub zero temps with snow! The new dachshund will be joining him once he's 6 months old, I'm sure theyll keep each other warm!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

I had 2 small green house heaters in my old kennel but took them out when we moved house about a year ago. I set the thermostat for 10 degrees and to be honest they didnt realy come on to much. I also used some 50 mm celotex cavity insulation bats and then cladded that with some 6mm ply that seemed to work fine.
    Regards Luke

Quote Originally Posted by d foxxer View Post
    i was wondering if any one on here uses any form of kennel heating for their dogs i got two smooth coat terriers in a large pen leading on to a shed
    in which is built a sleeping house which i plan to make smaller as it housed 2 german shepherds before so i want to make it terrier size and use some form of heating for the colder nights as they are very short coated any one know of decent type of heating without going off the scale burning electricity

cheers foxxer
    HI
    I have a beagle that has an insulated kennel with no heating and she has been outside for the last 8 years.when the weather is really cold I do beef up the bedding but other than that she does fine. Not blowing my own trumpet but the kennel is very well insulated,she was in the house when I first had here but she never really settled and seemed to get too hot. So after a word with the vet I set about building her a covered kennel and I have to say she settled in well.

Best thing I think for heaters are tube ones I've got three in my kennels make sure you use a guard they are great and good value to http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod/...cw-1mtr-cable-

The previous posts say it all really; good insulation 150mm kingspan sandwiched between 2 sheets of 1" marine ply,keep 'em dry and have a sleeping shelf up clear of the floor and they should do well enough. If you would rather have some form of heating a greenhouse leccy tube heater boxed in galv tin below sleeping bench works well and can double as a whelping kennel if you put deep sides on the sleeping shelf. all electrics need to be boxed out in tin to prevent getting destroyed by dogs. 1" mesh eventually gets eaten by terriers anf gwp's in my experience

I've got one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRADITIONA...item4ab3b656f9

The kennel is in a shed in the garden, I put this on (in the shed) when it's below freezing