Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: At last! My very own FAC application thread!

At last! My very own FAC application thread!

Itís been a long time in the making, but I can now finally start my own FAC application thread. Unfortunately, I canít regale you with any tales of firearms licensing ineptitude or huge delays because it all went just fine. The Met said that they process applications within 8 weeks, and thatís pretty much what happened. One of my referees took three weeks to send in his form, so I thought I was eight weeks into the process, whereas it was actually five, but I contacted them last week, and the FEO came round this morning, at the time that he actually said he would so that I could run off to work.

The interview took all of 15 minutes with no awkward questions, it was all perfectly straightforward, and essentially ďthe Man from the Met, he says yes!Ē to everything. He did mention that I wouldnít have an open condition but that if I kept on as I was doing, I could apply to have it opened in two years time. He wasnít able to tell me what conditions would be on there, but he told me to call him if there were any problems or difficulties. Anyway, I should have my FAC in two to three weeks. At last!

After that, it will be time for some serious shopping.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    It’s been a long time in the making, but I can now finally start my own FAC application thread. Unfortunately, I can’t regale you with any tales of firearms licensing ineptitude or huge delays because it all went just fine. The Met said that they process applications within 8 weeks, and that’s pretty much what happened. One of my referees took three weeks to send in his form, so I thought I was eight weeks into the process, whereas it was actually five, but I contacted them last week, and the FEO came round this morning, at the time that he actually said he would so that I could run off to work.

The interview took all of 15 minutes with no awkward questions, it was all perfectly straightforward, and essentially “the Man from the Met, he says yes!” to everything. He did mention that I wouldn’t have an open condition but that if I kept on as I was doing, I could apply to have it opened in two years time. He wasn’t able to tell me what conditions would be on there, but he told me to call him if there were any problems or difficulties. Anyway, I should have my FAC in two to three weeks. At last!

After that, it will be time for some serious shopping.

I'm glad you're glad.

BUT, with respect, you shouldn't be. You didn't ask for a "closed" condition (did you?) and if you filled in your forms as I suggested you would have made it clear that an unimpeded license was what you were asking for and required. Since you evidently haven't got that coming there are two options... either you consented to a closed condition (did you?... ie. did you put your neck in the noose as invited) or else your original application had been pertially refused. Both and/or either disappoint me. However, if you are happy, I guess that's the main thing. Congratulations and atb~Tom

make sure you double check it once it arrives

Pretty much what you would and should expect from any well run department..

Cant say ive ever experienced anything less here in Dorset..

Congratulations on your ticket...
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamus View Post
    I'm glad you're glad.

BUT, with respect, you shouldn't be. You didn't ask for a "closed" condition (did you?) and if you filled in your forms as I suggested you would have made it clear that an unimpeded license was what you were asking for and required. Since you evidently haven't got that coming there are two options... either you consented to a closed condition (did you?... ie. did you put your neck in the noose as invited) or else your original application had been pertially refused. Both and/or either disappoint me. However, if you are happy, I guess that's the main thing. Congratulations and atb~Tom
    I worded my application exactly as you stated, and the FEO was happy with all of it. I asked about conditions because I didn't want to end up with restrictive ones that made my life difficult. To be fair to the guy, he just stated that they didn't give open conditions for first applications, but he also didn't actually mention that he wanted to restrict me in any sort of way, as he didn't see any reason to think that I wasn't completely safe and so on. So I shall see what comes back. He didn't say that he wanted to make it difficult, just that whoever the guy who actually grants the FACs is may do so.

I'll kick up a polite fuss if necessary. Frankly, I don't really see what they're likely to come up with, given that the FEO was completely happy with everything I'd applied for.
    Last edited by Pine Marten; 05-11-2012 at 10:58.

I dont think you should get an open ticket on your first application, nor should you want it , in my opinion. To all intents and purposes the applicant could have no experience of firearms, so it is enough that he/she is learning the capabilities of themselves and the weapons which are new to them, without the added concern over whether the land is suitable for that calibre. If you have never fired any weapon, let alone the one you have in your hands, with limited understanding of ballistics etc what hope do you have of making an informed opinion on whether it is safe to use the rifle on that land? A good call for all concerned by the FEO I would say.
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by hughsurrey View Post
    I dont think you should get an open ticket on your first application, nor should you want it , in my opinion. To all intents and purposes the applicant could have no experience of firearms, so it is enough that he/she is learning the capabilities of themselves and the weapons which are new to them, without the added concern over whether the land is suitable for that calibre. If you have never fired any weapon, let alone the one you have in your hands, with limited understanding of ballistics etc what hope do you have of making an informed opinion on whether it is safe to use the rifle on that land? A good call for all concerned by the FEO I would say.

His lack of experience makes him what?... a danger? ... a risk to society? ... in need of having the wording law ignored to protect us all?

What?

What you should be thinking is... Have the MET done their job properly? Have they established that our applicant is a fit and proper person? and have they administered the grant of his certificate dispassionately and as the law requires... Or have they decided it would be appropriate to "make stuff up" and disregard the law and the official guidance on how they may apply the law and not actually bother with doing the job properly at all?

Though from what Pinemarten says, I reckon all is not lost yet and he may get exactly what he did ask for, which he is entitled to... assuming he is the fit and proper person, with good reason, that he seems to be.

Fingers crossed for you L.

I see what you mean about lack of experience, but I haven't applied for an FAC before starting to shoot, quite the opposite. In the past year, I've done DSC1, become a full member of the BSRC ar Bisley, been on several accompanied stalks, and prior to that, done plenty of target rifle shooting, wildfowling, roughshooting in places accessible to the public, etc. Also, I don't have any named land as I go stalking as a guest, paying or non-paying. There's plenty of evidence that I'm safe, have good reasons and all that, and the FEO accepted all of it.

I think I'll drop him an email to clarify this point though.

Not aimed at you personally but a general remark for new fac holders

Terry
    Last edited by pheasant sniper 1; 05-11-2012 at 11:23.
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

I didn't make any comment on the OP as a person, I simply stated that I don't think it should be a 'given' that you get an open ticket on first application, and I don't. IF, there are extenuating circumstances, then an exception can , and should be made, but as a general rule, I would say not.

And, in reply to your comment, I would say a lack of experience, combined with a firearm, does make you a danger (although not as in 'risk to society, killing spree).
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.