Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .270 noise for lamping

.270 noise for lamping

As above I posted a thread about this a while back but I have more questions, I would like to know the difference in noise between a .243 and a .270 both moderated, I want to have just one rifle and spend more on optics but I'm worried the .270 is overkill and too loud for fixing from a truck, your opinions please

thanks
    Tom

very much depends on the particular acoustic qualities of the enviroment you are shooting in.

There is a fair crack off even a moderated .270 especially if you are down range of it. No question about it though it's my weapon of choice for all Deer & Fox.

Get a 25.06 mate! Not much bigger than the .243 but has enough clout for any deer in the uk, flatter than the .270 and would not be considered excessive (probably???) for foxes whereas the .270 might be. A great all-round calibre!
    MS
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    As above I posted a thread about this a while back but I have more questions, I would like to know the difference in noise between a .243 and a .270 both moderated, I want to have just one rifle and spend more on optics but I'm worried the .270 is overkill and too loud for fixing from a truck, your opinions please

thanks
    Tom

I have used my 270WSM for foxing many times, with a good moderator you would hardly notice the difference between that and a 243.

get a moderator with a specific bore
    ideally as close to 6.8 as possible

I ran a 6.5mm mod on a .243 and it was significantly quieter than similar calibres running .30 cal mods

well to be honest I generally use my 22/250 for foxing but have used my .270 and my bud his .243 as said above it can depend on the acoustics of your location. Some times on a still night in the early hours on a summers eve the 22/250 can sound like a bloody cannon where another time in a different location the .270 sounds quieter. In my experience a single shot is generally not a problem. And to be honest I worry more about noise when I've got the HMR out shooting 6 or 7 bunnies in one location than the CF's foxing.

i use a 270 for my foxing and have now gone to unmodded but before this i used 130 grain pills flat out with a t12 mod now everyone that went out with me commented how quite it was with the mod and personally would say if you have a specific mod for a cal it will be better than say a mismatched mod to calibre . going out on a sunday with a group of guys foxing more often than not my rifle hadnt been heard taking a shot , atb wayne
    ps i love this calibre but people equally like theirs so its really down to you and if there is some difference in noise it will be minimal

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Get a 25.06 mate! Not much bigger than the .243 but has enough clout for any deer in the uk, flatter than the .270 and would not be considered excessive (probably???) for foxes whereas the .270 might be. A great all-round calibre!
    MS
    Unless you live in Cambridgeshire or Staffordshire!

I'll just have to get a .223as well

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    get a moderator with a specific bore
    ideally as close to 6.8 as possible

I ran a 6.5mm mod on a .243 and it was significantly quieter than similar calibres running .30 cal mods
    This is a very good point which a lot of people overlook, it makes a big difference having a good mod matched to a specific calibre! As for your original question, 270 absolutely fine for foxing, wouldn't even bother worry over it!!

ATB

Tom