.270 noise for lamping

Tomm

As above I posted a thread about this a while back but I have more questions, I would like to know the difference in noise between a .243 and a .270 both moderated, I want to have just one rifle and spend more on optics but I'm worried the .270 is overkill and too loud for fixing from a truck, your opinions please

thanks
Tom

There is a fair crack off even a moderated .270 especially if you are down range of it. No question about it though it's my weapon of choice for all Deer & Fox.

Get a 25.06 mate! Not much bigger than the .243 but has enough clout for any deer in the uk, flatter than the .270 and would not be considered excessive (probably???) for foxes whereas the .270 might be. A great all-round calibre!:thumb:
MS
As above I posted a thread about this a while back but I have more questions, I would like to know the difference in noise between a .243 and a .270 both moderated, I want to have just one rifle and spend more on optics but I'm worried the .270 is overkill and too loud for fixing from a truck, your opinions please

thanks
Tom

I have used my 270WSM for foxing many times, with a good moderator you would hardly notice the difference between that and a 243.

get a moderator with a specific bore
ideally as close to 6.8 as possible

I ran a 6.5mm mod on a .243 and it was significantly quieter than similar calibres running .30 cal mods

well to be honest I generally use my 22/250 for foxing but have used my .270 and my bud his .243 as said above it can depend on the acoustics of your location. Some times on a still night in the early hours on a summers eve the 22/250 can sound like a bloody cannon where another time in a different location the .270 sounds quieter. In my experience a single shot is generally not a problem. And to be honest I worry more about noise when I've got the HMR out shooting 6 or 7 bunnies in one location than the CF's foxing.

i use a 270 for my foxing and have now gone to unmodded but before this i used 130 grain pills flat out with a t12 mod now everyone that went out with me commented how quite it was with the mod and personally would say if you have a specific mod for a cal it will be better than say a mismatched mod to calibre . going out on a sunday with a group of guys foxing more often than not my rifle hadnt been heard taking a shot , atb wayne
ps i love this calibre but people equally like theirs so its really down to you and if there is some difference in noise it will be minimal

Get a 25.06 mate! Not much bigger than the .243 but has enough clout for any deer in the uk, flatter than the .270 and would not be considered excessive (probably???) for foxes whereas the .270 might be. A great all-round calibre!:thumb:
MS

Unless you live in Cambridgeshire or Staffordshire! :doh:

I'll just have to get a .223as well

get a moderator with a specific bore
ideally as close to 6.8 as possible

I ran a 6.5mm mod on a .243 and it was significantly quieter than similar calibres running .30 cal mods

This is a very good point which a lot of people overlook, it makes a big difference having a good mod matched to a specific calibre! As for your original question, 270 absolutely fine for foxing, wouldn't even bother worry over it!!

ATB

Tom

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Monkey SpankerGet a 25.06 mate! Not much bigger than the .243 but has enough clout for any deer in the uk, flatter than the .270 and would not be considered excessive (probably???) for foxes whereas the .270 might be. A great all-round calibre!:thumb:
MS

Unless you live in Cambridgeshire or Staffordshire! :doh:

I'll just have to get a .223as well

A .25-06 is demonstrably 'bigger' than a .243, and isn't as flat long range as a .270 if bullets of exactly the same sectional density & coefficient are used in each ... but I don't think that was your query.

There are two issues here, and it's never clear to me which one's being asked about.

The first is whether you can lamp with a .270. Your previous post said you had slots for .243 (sold) and a .270 (unfilled), so you're looking for a single all-rounder? Presumably Deer is the primary quarry use with Fox as the secondary, as you're unlikely to get either for Fox alone. That's the policy in Cambs., and I've no idea about Staffs.... but licensing isn't your problem. Maybe you're concerned about whether the FLD might think it's OTT for lamping? You already have implicit permission for this with the secondary use, so that shouldn't be a concern to anyone.

The second issue is whether a .270 sounds louder than a .243 if, as you say, both are moderated. It obviously depends on the efficiency of the suppression on each, but I've been 25 yards downrange a few yards to the side of both calibres in different setups. The .270 is louder. I'd estimate this at about 15% - 20%, but that difference will diminish at greater distances in the neighbourhood. If you spend more time lamping than stalking ... and always will ... then replace your .243 as your only rifle. If you're going to do more stalking then buy a .270 instead, and make do. It's a superior deer calibre to a .243, and the .25-06 is too big to be a compromise calibre for Fox IMO. I don't think the .243 is the best compromise for Deer either. .... so if you're after both quarry then fill both the slots you've earned. Life is boring with just one rifle.

im sorry but i dissagree one rifle with a good scope is better than 2 with moderate scope if you can afford good optiks for all your rifles then alls well but i have just sold a 2250 used the money to buy a ziess 3x 12 x50 duralyt i mounted it on the 2506 which i home load with a 100 grain bt for deer.and a 75 grain vmax for foxes both rounds have the same trajectory.

I out lamping probably 3 times a week and stalking maby once or twice a week. So mainly fox shooting I guess, when I had my .243 no doubt was it a fantastic fox caliber but as all my deer stalking is reds I always felt a little under gunned, although most of my shots were head or neck shots on hinds so i rarely had one run, I just felt I would be more confident with a bigger caliber so I got a .270 on my license and a one for one on the .243 just in case. Once I had done that I began to worry weather the bigger caliber was too loud and too much for fixing, I have AOLQ on my certificate and I can shoot what I want with what I like asking as it is within the law. I just wanted to have one nice rifle and one proper decent scope rather than 2 second rate combos if that makes sense. Not really sure what to do now tho.Decisions decisions...........

thanks for everyone's help
Tomm

Shot plenty of foxes with both mod and un modded 270s, can't see how you can be over gunned? Use 22-250 mostly now, but nothing wrong with Norma 130 grain 270 for foxes.

270 is a perfectly fine round for foxing. I love the fact that I can load anything between 90gr and 165gr for what I need. I like the 90gr as it is an incredibly fast round over Viht140 for the foxes with flat trajectory - but 130gr does just fine as previous posters have said. Ballistics aren't really a major consideration at 2-300 yards and I'm not keen on further than that at night anyway. Noise - well they're all going to make noise aren't they and comparison is personal and as said specific to the area you're in. One rifle between 270 and 243? Got to be a 270 for me for all round flexibility and a good mod will make the calibres pretty hard to tell apart.

im a keeper in hertfordshire and i use 270 for foxing. use 130g fedral power shok but just about to load spear 100g varmint hollow point with varget powder looks like a really good combo i have a friend uses them in 308 and they are very effective and 9 times out of ten have no exit so transfer all energy to the target. no louder than 243 but much more killing power i love it

A .25-06 is demonstrably 'bigger' than a .243, and isn't as flat long range as a .270 if bullets of exactly the same sectional density & coefficient are used in each ... but I don't think that was your query.

If you are trying to convince the police that you want just one rifle for both deer and fox, with foxes being shot by lamp, you will struggle to get signed up for a .270!
The beauty of the 25.06 is that you can send a relatively light bullet such as a 75 grain up to about 3700fps after a fox, or a 115grainer at a more sensible speed such as 3000fps after a deer. The .270 may well perform better at much longer ranges, but at sensible fox ranges a smaller frangible varmint style bullet is faster and safer for use at night. As for deer, it is also adequate for all species. I shot a 35 stone Red stag a couple of weeks ago which dropped on the spot and at the other end of the scale a 10lb muntjac last night! Both were shot with a 115 grain Combined Technology ballistic silver tip. The .270 is a cracking calibre and i also have its bigger brother the 30.06, but I always reach for the 25.06 as my first choice!:cool::)
MS

Back