Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you have a .375H&H for Deer?

How many of you have a .375H&H for Deer?

Just out of interest really, how many of you have a .375H&H conditioned for Deer in the UK? I have a H&H, but no Deer condition. My force are being a bit unreasonable with me and are ignoring the guidelines. It looks like I may be forced to buy a .300 Win Mag for use here, which is daft both financially and for security reasons (more guns in the house) when I have a perfectly good "big gun" right here!

The .300 slot is conditioned for vermin too, it's just silly that I can't take a Red with my .375!

I'd really appreciate any input from the forum. I'm sure some of you must have one?

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    njc

A colleague of mine from Bristol has a .375H&H with a condition for deer. He's used it up in Scotland a couple of times, although it's primarily for his trips to Africa.

willie_gunn

Thanks for that. My main reason for having mine is to shoot Bear in Canada. I have a friend out there and last time I was out there we were stalked by a large Grizzly. It wasn't an animal we were allowed to shoot for sport and luckily we just walked out without any drama, but if it had of decided we looked tasty I wouldn't have felt comfortable hiding behind a .300WM! Black Bears are OK to shoot and next time I am out there I will try again to find one. So far the only quarry dropped with the rifle has been a Whitetail Deer and a Squirrel (don't ask!).

Anyone else have one or know of them being used here?

Yep - Devon and Cornwall granted me .375 for everything from Mouse to Moose.

Initial grant was based on an upcoming African trip - it was opened up to deer when I quoted the relevent home office guidance to police and noted my access to 'larger species'.

Since then it has been all over the world and never let me down.

Rgds Ian

Simple really, you just have to show that you have need (to use it here in the UK on deer).

Fundamentaly that means YOU have "land on which you regularly shoot" (not one off, paid stalks) and that the relevant CC is happy on the safety issues as well as what you already have. It's easier to get multiple rifles in the same calibre than adjacent calibres.

Bottom line, for Deer, is that you are on the hill in Sutherland etc ... Same applies to Boar. One offs no chance, but your "permission to control Boar" then you get it added.

You are the one managing the land not just popping up for a blast once a year.

Stan

I don't understand how it is any different to any other calibre though? I can have a regular Deer calibre for a one off stalk booking, so why not the .375?

My only other Deer rifle is a 6.5x55. I know it is capable of most things but for big animals that are a long way off on the hill it's a little small really. I already have the .375 so it seems daft to have to get a .300WM too just for those odd occasions. That would mean that I have two rifles that hardly get used, rather than one which would get used at least twice as much as it does now.

It makes sense to me (and probably the rest of you guys too), so why is it so hard for the police to figure out? The guidelines don't say I have to have my own stalking ground with large Deer on, just that I need to have a use for it (which with paid stalks I would).

Re: How many of you have a .375H&H for Deer?

Quote Originally Posted by njc110381
    I have a H&H, but no Deer condition. My force are being a bit unreasonable with me and are ignoring the guidelines.
    wot force are you with ,as it looks like a pattern emerging here on which forces are following the guidelines and those that are making their own

Gloucestershire. Before everyone starts to see them as one of the bad ones though I should add that this is the only real problem I have had with them. Usually they are very reasonable. I can't understand why this gets their back up so badly? Usually they're pretty easy going (.300WM for vermin says it all really). I just don't get it!

I go back again to show NEED, not DESIRE.... You have to demonstrate need.

"My only other Deer rifle is a 6.5x55. I know it is capable of most things but for big animals that are a long way off on the hill it's a little small really. I already have the .375 so it seems daft to have to get a .300WM too just for those odd occasions. That would mean that I have two rifles that hardly get used, rather than one which would get used at least twice as much as it does now. "

The above statement is at odds with the Home Office guidance.

You do not NEED a .375 as it is not a long range weapon, the 300WSM is but the 6.5 x 55 is also and perfectly adequate for a recreational stalker on large UK deer. Now, a full time stalker earning his living out of culling can easier show NEED for a 300WSM but not necessarily a .375.

Permissions/leases/syndicate membership shows need, paid stalking is desire as the "estate rule" will cover provision of an appropriate calibre.

The more you show use of your .375 (which as far as your FEO is concerned is outside the UK) the better. It's then easier for them to "add" boar/deer etc. at the next occaision your FAC is before them.

Work with them, not against them. Takes only a few trips. I've got two 6.5 x 55 and a 9.3 x 62 with deer, boar, fox and vermin on them all. Only had my FAC 15 months but each acquisition had them call it back for reprinting and so I took opportunity to provide evidence of use of the 9.3 x 62 outside the UK plus maps, satellite images, photos of the mountain backstops etc. where I shoot in Scotland. I do not NEED to shoot deer in the UK with a 9mm calibre but I did demonstrate that I had somewher to and had practical experience.

No, I do not want to be shooting fox with a 9mm...

Stan

I sympathise with you on the .375, but your 6.5x55 will handle 'long shots' on the hill.