Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arran

Arran

I hear a rumour that a very important wheel has come off the Arran scheme machine, I do hope it is unfounded,....It would be a very bad day for stalkers, both novice and experienced if true.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

The Arran Scheme was a product of the incestuous relation ship with BASC and the scottish government departments. It was only a couple of years ago it was questioned regards its fairness to all. This was found to be biased and the FC had to rewrite the contract making it a control lease that would follow a similar vein to other leases. BASC Members needing to have at least level one and working towards lev 2. In my opinion this scheme because of the new writings would have eventually failed and that's a sad thing. The scheme was a good way to get stalkers in to deer management and should have been opened to all. I also believe there should have been more.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    BASC Members needing to have at least level one and working towards lev 2. .
    was that a new addition to the requirement?

I have the lease agreement here some were it was sent to me by the FC it was still Biased towards BASC as they would have been the only organisation that would meet the criteria. Still an opportunity lost from BASC and the government departments is my opinion.

I understood need for DSC Part 1 was a requirement from quite early on - if not the start. Certainly was when I went - which is 6 years back or more. Not swearing as fact.

'Incestuous relationship' 6P? Following on from previous posts by you regards BASC and the odd word here and there - 'Governing' being the previous one - I really would urge you to compose a suitably worded thread and bring the concerns that you clearly do have out for debate on the forum. Thats not a trap nor with any Machiavellian plot - I think your views could be quite valid in a number of areas; but as it is, near every single thread with the 'B' word has a comment by you indicating real issues - but never moving forward. Please, please be clear - no plot, no trap and not my intention to defend BASC per se - they should be able to do that themselves - but genuinely interested to hear your views.

Apologies for slight thread diversion to original poster
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

MO I think that my worry,s about BASC and there almost sole influence on what happens in the area of deer management has been well documented. Dragging old posts back up would serve no purpose. This post is about Arran and the scheme on it my reply is my feelings on what i feel could have happened in favour of BASC and the Government department had they not made it a closed scheme.
    MO The fact that you now need to be working towards your Lev 2 and actually have a portfolio is were the difference from the old lease also that this became an open tender were before BASC were given the ground.
    Don't you think it would show real commitment to the deer managers if schemes like this were open to all and not just BASC members at varying locations.

Well I have it from the horses mouth so to speak, Griff has gone, As to lost chances, opportunities to widen the scheme, take on further grounds, If the wider membership knew how much did not come to pass? I have a guess one head would roll if it were down to membership!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

********! Really wanted to give Arran a go next season, but won't bother if Griff has jacked it in.

Deek, You Yourself will understand there is much behind this, other than what is posted above, unless Neil adds anything, probably unlikely in the near future, membership will have to just imagine what good things were lost.

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    MO I think that my worry,s about BASC and there almost sole influence on what happens in the area of deer
    Don't you think it would show real commitment to the deer managers if schemes like this were open to all and not just BASC members at varying locations.
    whats the point BASC organising a scheme though if its not for their membership, and being a member you can fail to get a place when any Tom dick or 6pointer can get one ahead of you.

Its the same argument about their DSC training only being for members or indeed anything they arrange to benefit the membership. Why would people pay to join if all opportunities are open to everyone.

Thats not to say perhaps a scheme is needed to allow easier access for all and potentially change the whole tender system but it needs an independant body rather than one working for its members