Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Difference between CZ452 and CZ455

Difference between CZ452 and CZ455

Hello everyone.

Since Iím now expecting my FAC to arrive in the post imminently, Iím now engaged in the very enjoyable activity of rifle shopping. Well technically, itís still ďjust browsingĒ, but it will rapidly become the real thing. I intended to buy a CZ452 FS to go with the Steyr-Mannlicher stutzen thatís in the virtual order book, to mimic the stalking rifle setup as closely as possible when shooting on the running boar .22 range at the BSRC in Bisley. But since I started looking seriously into availability, Iíve noticed that in the interim, the CZ452 range appears to have been superseded by the CZ455, although most places still seem to stock the 452.

Is there any real difference between the two, or is it just a matter of CZ rationalising the use of parts?

Thanks.

It would appear that the main differences are that the barrel is interchangeable between the .22lr, .22wmr and 17hmr, they have improved the muzzle somehow for greater accuracy, and the stock has better ergonomics, other than that it is essentially the same as the 452

Not the same. Not even close.
    The main difference between the 452 and 455 is the lack of a opposing locking lug on the bolt in the 455. The 455 has only the bolt handle root to hold the bolt in place where the 452 had an opposing lug as well. This allows CZ to skip some expensive machining on the bolt handle and the receiver. It's a bit of slight of hand: pointing out the trinkety improvements while ignoring the vast cheapening of the action. Sad.~Muir

On the other hand Muir, it means I may be able to pick up a 452 for cheaper! Because after all, who wants last year's model? Maybe there'll be sales in January. You know the sort of thing: a new pair of shoes, some trousers for work, a new .22 rifle, maybe all from Harrods'...

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    On the other hand Muir, it means I may be able to pick up a 452 for cheaper! Because after all, who wants last year's model? Maybe there'll be sales in January. You know the sort of thing: a new pair of shoes, some trousers for work, a new .22 rifle, maybe all from Harrods'...
    Ok....
    ~Muir

PM, if you want a .22LR, I can hand-on-heart suggest nothing else and beg you to consider an original 2nd hand BRNO mod 2. It will be in your cabinet till the day you day, and be with you on many many excursions along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Ok....
    ~Muir
    I'm just looking for the silver lining, sorry...

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    PM, if you want a .22LR, I can hand-on-heart suggest nothing else and beg you to consider an original 2nd hand BRNO mod 2. It will be in your cabinet till the day you day, and be with you on many many excursions along the way.
    The .22LR isn't as urgent as the main rifle in the purchase hierarchy, although it is hugely cheaper and easier to obtain, so I may even end up impulse-purchasing one that suits me. I'm going to be trawling through the second-hand rifles in shops and looking at the classifieds in coming weeks. If Holt's has a sealed-bid auction in December, they may have something. They usually have a tonne of clapped-out and also totally decent rifles in that.

I would not contemplate the 455 for the reasons Muir pointed out, and that reading the USA forums it seems problems abound in the accuracy department.
    I would love a full stock, but most of us buy a .22lr to moderate, you can't do that with the full stock without lots of work, and it would just look wrong if you did.

Neil.
    Last edited by Hornet 6; 06-11-2012 at 22:50. Reason: Fingers faster than the eye

Hang on, Muir is saying that the bolt on the 455 is weaker/cheaper than on the older 452, but you're telling me to avoid the 452. Which eliminates both of them!

I'm going with the full stock to replicate the setup of my main stalking rifle for use on the running boar range, as I hope one day to take the stalking rifle to shoot boar. I'm going with the full stock on the stalking rifle because it handles brilliantly and looks great. Which does of course preclude the use of a moderator, but then they're illegal everywhere else in Europe pretty much, and I have some great electronic ear defenders... Different discussion though.