Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who needs a .25 drill bit when an 87g Ballistic Tip will do!

Who needs a .25 drill bit when an 87g Ballistic Tip will do!

Perfect morning for a spot of fox calling says old K to himself as he setup in a handy ambush point overlooking a sunlit woodland floor or felled timber. In fact so comfortable and stable was his setup only a bench and bags could improve things he mused as the first cries of pain from the Nordik Predator call broke the silence. Five minutes later and just as he raised the call for the third time a slight movement to the left caught his eye. The faintest whimper on the call stopped the well fed dog fox no more than 40 yards away as K’s head dropped to the stock and pushed forward the Jewel trigger’s safety. The honey-coloured fox loomed unnecessarily large at 12 power but the crosshairs sat where they needed to and with the clarity of crystal. BOOM!

As the K 250 echoed around the Greensand Ridge K watched in disbelief as the fox gave it leg bail into the next County! What the .... ??

K looked for a suitable fallen log and backstop to check the rifle’s zero so sure was he that both hold and let off had been perfect. Then, as he glassed the spot where the fox had stood for signs of fur or disturbed ground he noticed, not more than 7 yards away, a vertical 1" dead branch with a wee bit missing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2835_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	488.3 KB 
ID:	21149

What a Muppet!

Cheers

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 06-11-2012 at 18:58.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    Perfect morning for a spot of fox calling says old K to himself as he setup in a handy ambush point overlooking a sunlit woodland floor or felled timber. In fact so comfortable and stable was his setup only a bench and bags could improve things he mused as the first cries of pain from the Nordik Predator call broke the silence. Five minutes later and just as he raised the call for the third time a slight movement to the left caught his eye. The faintest whimper on the call stopped the well fed dog fox no more than 40 yards away as K’s head dropped to the stock and pushed forward the Jewel trigger’s safety. The honey-coloured fox loomed unnecessarily large at 12 power but the crosshairs sat where they needed to and with the clarity of crystal. BOOM!

As the K 250 echoed around the Greensand Ridge K watched in disbelief as the fox gave it leg bail into the next County! What the .... ??

K looked for a suitable fallen log and backstop to check the rifle’s zero so sure was he that both hold and let off had been perfect. Then, as he glassed the spot where the fox had stood for signs of fur of disturbed ground he noticed, not more than 7 yards away, a vertical 1" dead branch with a wee bit missing!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2835_edited-1.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	488.3 KB 
ID:	21149

What a Muppet!

Cheers

K
    How do you find that .25x47SM, when you're not shooting branches with it?

Yep, been there..........

Had a mate do the same a few year's ago with his .243 to the farmer's new gate

The Fox is still running

I said before the shot are you clearing the gate? the answer was YES! (NOT) everytime i drive by it i have a laugh to myself.
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

Perhaps you and Paul at Barony could form some kind of tree shooting club? Paul usually prefers bigger trees with his .375 though!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

It is well to remember that sight line and bullet line are not the same thing especially at short range.
    A Muppet in Ireland shot a hole in part of the elevating roof of his friends car whilst the chap was sitting in the drivers seat.

HWH.

A very long time ago, before I grew brains! I placed an empty cigarette packet on top of a five bar gate, with a good back stop I might add before I go any further.
    I paced out twenty five, large, for a fifteen year old, stride length paces and aimed my double barrel 12 bore, loaded with a Home Guard Issue ball cartridge and let loose at the packet.
    I didn't give it enough elevation/hold over and the top bar just disintegrated.
    I would have really felt sorry for any German Paratroopers had they landed in my part of Somerset if any of our Home Guard found the need to use one of those Ball cartridges that's for sure.
    I had to make the whole gate 'disappear' before anybody got to see it or they would have known it was me immediately.
    The remains of it were found by me some time later where some Gypsies had stayed over night, burnt to a cinder but I managed to save the metal hinges and a few other bits of metal so got a pat on the back !!

Things only got worse as having decided the ground was still far too sodden to use my default lightweight stalking pumps my Meindl’s mid soles decided they would disintegrate!!

I jest not:
    Attachment 21152

It happens but be warned some people on here will not find it funny I did a similar thread a month or so ago about not checking line of sight and my mate put a hole in his bonnet. A few of the comments where "you shouldn't even be allowed a bus pass let alone an FAC"

Still that is a funny story and I would think that most people have done this at some point be it with an Air rifle or a powder burner.